What's new

Opus X

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Was at the local B&M yesterday and saw he had three boxes of OpusX cigars out (each diff size, ranged from $10 to $15). I have yet to have one so of course I grabbed one up with the other couple singles that interested me.

I was disappointed in the cigar to say the least. There seems to be alot of hype around them, at the store he even said they have been a big seller and the "Mercedes of cigars". So much so that apparently the store thats about twice as far for me (in the nearest big city) that has three walkins vs one will limit each person to 1 cigar.

Maybe I just was unlucky or wasnt in the mood for the cigar but it didnt seem to have much good flavor... it had power but it seemed like it was a giant spice stick and wasn't mixed with any smooth creamy flavours.

On the bright side it was extremely well constructed and had a perfect burn with a strong ash.

Anyone else share this experience or am I the first one to throw a stone at the mighty Opus X?

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Definitely not worth the money. Sorta like an over priced designer suit.

Not a bad smoke though, very strong and I find sweet.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Way over priced and nowhere near the flavor of many great CC's at 1/2 the price. IMHO - Opus is one of those that survives at that price because it was marketed that way due to the embargo. Supply is artificially restricted to keep the price high.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention this brand; I went to my local dealer last week asking about it; told him in the US it was a big thing, whether he has any, if they're good, etc.. He didnt even have it but said he tried it a few times and it was crap / hype / not worth it, and about the price of a Cohiba.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
They are good, but not the best. For the bother and time it takes to get them, I would rather have a nice Cuban at either the same price or less.

CoventryCat86

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All a matter of personal taste. A while back I too used to say these were overrated and not worth the money but I've changed my mind completely. They are different from Cuban cigars and high end Padrons but I think that comparing them straight up with one another is like comparing apples and oranges.

Two main problems are price and not smoking well. With respect to price DO NOT OVER PAY for these. They can be found fairly easily for MSRP. As far as not smoking well, my experience has been that when I buy them from a shop and smoke them immediately, they are too wet and burn and smoke like crap.

I would strongly suggest that you store them at no higher than 65% RH for at least a few weeks before smoking them. The definitely mellow with age and while I wouldn't go so far to say that they need a few years on them, I wouldn't say it's a requirement.

I very much enjoy Opus X cigars, they are now one of my favorites. I find the smaller ones a bit too powerful sometimes which is why my favoirte size is the Reserva D'Chateau, which measures 7 x 48.

Da Klugs

Fluffmeister
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Photo op tonight going to be a blue moon. :) I agree 100% with Bill above. Opus and Anejos and Casa Fuentes and Padron Annie and 1964's I throw into their own categories vs the broad NC one.

All are great cigars. Fuentes seem to vary by year more than the Padrons. They also have real flavor differences in the different sizes. Like the Padrons I like the smaller rg ones better. More of that special wrapper flavor and ligero I guess... don't know the why just the what.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
What about the aging potential of the Opus X? Is it greater than most non-cubans?

I had an Anejo but still haven't lit up the few Opus X I have in my humi.

Rutkus

Newb Puke
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
to me, opus are one of the few nc's that really benefit from age, the strength seems to mellow, and make it a bit more enjoyable. when found at msrp, they are a decent smoke for the price, IMHO. however i much prefer the anejo to the opus.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was exactly like pdonlin originally. Tried it and didn't get what the fuss was about. I had bought a few before I actually got around to smoking my first and after trying different sizes was about to completely give up and trade what I had left. Then I had the Petite Lancero :) Awesome! Basically try a few different sizes. The smaller opus and the thinner the ring gauge are very different from the larger opus sizes. You might find one you like. And as others have said, age tames them and they should be stored at about 65%. And definitely try to get them at MSRP, otherwise they aren't worth it IMOH. But at MSRP, with a few to choose form in the $8 range, they are nice to have.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I really don't think I gave these cigars a real chance. I smoked one very expensive Opus and didn't like it. I guess I was opinionated over the smoke with only one exposure. I do have a hard time spending more on a NC than a very good cuban.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
IMO Opus need to sit for at least a year. The burn problems that they tend to have lessen. Also, I can get Opus at a very good price so I don't mind picking them up. For the 25 bucks I see them going for sometimes, not worth it. They vary a good amount with their sizes so its worth trying them to see which vitola you like.

CoventryCat86

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
I really don't think I gave these cigars a real chance. I smoked one very expensive Opus and didn't like it. I guess I was opinionated over the smoke with only one exposure. I do have a hard time spending more on a NC than a very good cuban.
LMAO!! Sounds almost EXACTLY what my feelings were about two years ago. At first, I was kind of turned OFF with all the hype that surrounds these cigars so I tried a few and said "What's the big deal?" and as you pointed out, the cost didn't seem worth it when some pretty decent Cuban cigars can be had for the same price or less.

I kind of backed into liking them, I had a few gifted to me and my when my local shops have them, they don't gouge so I'd get the Fuente Fuentes for $9.00.

DWSC_Bob

Bearded Wonder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had anOpusX for several years. Bought the first ones on reputation alone and the fact that I was presented with an opportunity to get a cigar that I could not get back home. This back when they were not available west of the Mississippi. They are expensive, taste great when properly handled (aged and humidified) but recently have not tempted me over several other quality smokes.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I enjoyed these many years ago when they were first introduced. More recent production though they seem to have sacraficed flavor for strength. Also the few that I've had over the past 3-4 years have shown really poor burn qualities.

For the premium NC stuff, I stick with Padron 64 and Avo ... I've never been disappointed with them.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Never got into the Opus hype. Even at MSRP I found they're more brute power than anything else. Not very refined, balanced or complex. And this from smoking ones with more than 3yrs on them. I'll stick with my habanos.