What's new

OR Onyx Reserve Robusto

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hello fellow BOTLs. This is my first review so any constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks in advance. :) (also this review was a blind review to begin with)

Smoke:OR Onyx Reserve (maybe) Robusto;Beverage:Green Tea Frapp from Starbucks;Location:Federal Cigar, Epping, NH

Pre-cut: Box press, very veiny, smooth feel, bumpy appearance, smells of barnyard and cedar with a hint of oak, pre-cut wrapper of taste of light cedar

Cap cut: Nice and clean, no complaints. (Normally a box press gives me issues at this point)

Cold draw: Strong oak with cedar and lighter barnyard
120709-153836.jpg
1st third: very light flavors, light spice, oak, raisin, no bite on the retrohale, coffee flavor more on the retrohale, spice is going away the more it smokes, the coffee is going away towards the end of the first third and the raisin and spice are becoming a little more prevalent on the retrohale. Burn has been slightly wavy with the threat of canoeing on me, but that could just be from the frequency I am taking puffs at. Ash is coming off clear white and turning more grey as it progresses, slight ripply ash. Decent amount of ash-tray smoke coming off of it. Ash gave me an inch and a half before it hit my lap.
120709-155521.jpg
2nd third: Oak and cedar flavors are coming more to the front, a little more spice under the tongue. About halfway through this third it mellowed back out on the spice for me. Flavors are becoming a little bit muddled, but still noticeable. Getting a mild cocoa flavor as well at this point. Burn is becoming a little bit more wavy, but no real threat of canoeing. Towards the end of this third the oak is stronger, with a hint of spice behind it. Needed a slight correction on the burn, but I had almost let it go out by being distracted. Starting to get a more earthy tone to the oak.
View attachment 23932
3rd third: Spice is becoming more and more up front as it burns down. Still a nice earthy oak flavor. Still has the nice soft sweet cocoa on the retrohale. Burn is becoming a slight personal issue, tunneling just a bit on one side, could be user err. Cedar notes are beginning to stand out again among the oak. Still nice and smooth on the retrohale. Very earthy at this point. Spice is picking up as this little guy gets shorter and shorter. Raisin overtones are once again coming strongly into play while the oak and cocoa linger on the palette.
120709-165330.jpg
Nicotine Strength: I would put this at a medium-mild.

Burn Time: lit 3:17pm EST. out 4:59 EST.

Final thoughts: All in all a fairly tasty cigar that didn't change it's flavor profile a whole lot. Nice clean burn for 2/3rds of the cigar. Nice and smooth oak, cedar, cocoa and a hit of spice for the whole stick. Virtually zero bite on the retrohale. Rather a tasty smoke, not something I would pick up everyday, but definitely enjoyable.