What's new

Our relationship is almost at a breakup

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have been putting in a lot of effort with these Heartfelt beads and they have not been responding back to me. It seems like I'm putting in all the effort and these beads are just sitting there. I'm just about to call this relationships quits.
I ordered the 65% humidity beads from Heartfelt and they don't seem to be doing their job (that or I'm not doing mine). I hope I'm doing something wrong. The problem is that the beads don't seem to be absorbing any humidity within the cedar cigar box that I am using as a temporary humidor as I wait for my new humidor to arrive in the next couple of days. I also use this "desktop" as my travel humidor so I have taken necessary steps to make a nice tight seal between the lid and the body. I have put a bead of duct tape on the rim so that the lid seals and that no humidity can get in or out. I seasoned it and everything but everytime I look at my Western III hygrometer it is at or above 70%.
Now, I have salt tested my hygrometer to make sure that that wasn't the problem. I have dried the beads with a blow dryer to make sure that they were dry and as of now nothing has worked. What are my other variables and what can I do? I put more beads in to see if there simply was just not enough beads for the humidor...didn't work. I switched the beads from a tied stocking to a plastic cap thinking that maybe the moisture couldn't get to and from the bead...no luck. I do not know what to do...please help. What am I doing wrong? Let me know before I throw the beads and everything they own out of my house. Thank you to all you good old chaps.

P.S.- I do live in Florida so I have taken the humidity into consideration down here. It is always around 65-90% humidity so my problem is never putting humidity in but rather taking it out.

Your Troubled Friend,
The Big O

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Big O,
I would venture to guess several things.

1.) The seal on the cedar box is allowing outside humidity in
2.) The hygrometer reading is a little off
3.) You have 70% beads instead of 65%
4.) You cigars are over humidified and possibly too many in the box, along with the seasoning, is creating too much moisture for the beads to absorb.

What is the RH outside of the box?

If it's currently lower than 70%, open the box for a day or so to help eleviate some of the moisture in the box.

Just a few suggestions.
~M

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
first, forget the salt test. even though it works, its pretty easy to screw it up. too much water is biggest mistake. use the calibration kit from humidipak. give your hygrometer 2- 36 hour tests, then you will be sure about your hygrometer. once you do that, then you can fix the problem you are having using the beads.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Hmmmmm, based on the information you have provided and the fact the RH seems to climb to and stop at 70% I would venture to guess that David may have possibly sent you 70% beads instead. Mistakes do happen.

If you email or call he will be more than helpful in getting this resolved for you.

Matter of fact, he'll likely see this and help you out before you get a chance. :thumbsup:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea mine have been full proof too.

I agree with ron though. Make sure the hygro is right.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm with Todd, I think you got 70% beads. Unless there is something I'm missing (and depending on how far above 70% you are talking when you say (or above)).

RonC:
"give your hygrometer 2- 36 hour tests"

Do you mean test it for 36 hours then take it out, then test it again, or just leave it in the bag for 72 hours? I'm sure it's the former, just checking as I'm testing one of mine with this set up right now.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Sounds like you either received the wrong kind of beads, or the seal is bad around the edge. I have had fool proof success with the beads.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you wetting only part of the beads, not more than 75% of them? If you are wetting all of them, they can't absorb moisture.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Big O, shoot me your addy and I will send you a calibration pack. I just got one from Heartfelt and calibrated my hygrometers. I will not be needing it again in the forseeable future so I would like to see someone get some use out of it.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Fox said:
Big O, shoot me your addy and I will send you a calibration pack. I just got one from Heartfelt and calibrated my hygrometers. I will not be needing it again in the forseeable future so I would like to see someone get some use out of it.
Very nice Fox! Might be better than your reviews! :thumbsup:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I would agree with what the other members said. You probably have one of two problems. Either you have 70 percent beads, or the seal on the cigar box you are using is not good enough. I'd really wait until you get a real humidor in the mail so that you can see how the beads respond in that environment. If it's a Western III and you've already salt tested it, it's probably not off by more than 2 percent anyway. You said it goes over 70 percent though, which lead some to believe that it something other than wrong beads. If you're talking like 10 percent over....as in 80% RH...then that is a real problem and likely your seal is not good enough. If you're talking 72 or 73 percent RH then I would say you likely have 70 percent beads. In any case, wait until you get your humidor, try them in that. If you're still getting a 70 percent reading talk to David at Heartfelt and see what you can work out.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Let us know how it works out. That calibration kit is awesome. Surprise, surprise, my cheap-o Radio Shack hygro is spot on...we'll see how it does in 24 more hours.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
In high humidity areas the beads will not reduce the humidity very fast if at all, to reduce the humidity use kitty litter (not the clay type). Beads work great for bringing the hulmidity up and keeping it stable but not for reducing it. I've used beads and kitty litter and the kitty litter works as good as the beads at holding the humidity (once conditioned) and better for reducing it, imho.

Every summer when the humidty gets high I take out my humidifiers and I put in some kitty litter, I usually have to dry it (in the oven at 350 for an hour) or replace it once or twice. It's cheap enough to throw away but I like knowing they are good and dry so I dry em.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I could never bring myself to use the litter crystals in my humidor!

I know it's safe but there is no way I can get myself over the fact it is KITTY LITTER.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yeah I don't know if I could use kitty litter either. Just the thought of something that is supposed to soak up animal crap being near my cigars. Maybe it's all in my head.