What's new

"Oust" fan alternative.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm relatively new to BOTL, and being a tinkerer - perhaps this may help others.

For those that are using the "oust" fans, there is an alternative. For years, we have used a battery operated fan in our RV fridge. I have been studying, and paying close attention to my new fridge a dor and it's operation. I'm pretty sure from reading others experiences with condensation, the more air you can move-the better off you are. If you aren't going to hard wire a pancake or other 110v fan, and would like an alternative to the "oust" here you go.

They substantially move more air than the oust, the downside is the battery's will need to be changed more often (every month). I don't have a problem with the battery issue. I will be changing out my oust fans for a pair of these. They are only a few $$ more, and can be had at most RV supply stores. There are even a few listed at the "bay". Just have to remember to change out your batteries monthly.:applause:

Attachments

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sounds great, I will have to make modifications for my little dor. Welcome, by the way, I have not been on here long and I think that this place is great. I find myself checking into the board between meetings or to take a mental break throughout the day.

Enjoy:smile:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What is the acctual name of these. I was just looking at the oust fan
Valterra Fridgemate RV Refrigerator Fan Battery Operated

I thought I had done my homework pretty well, before buying my 2 oust fans. I even modified them, by removing all the material in front of the blade. But they just don't push enough air for me. I don't know why, I didn't think of these little guys before. Well actually I do, I went with what others here had work for them. Unlike the oust fans, these push the air vertically. I'm pretty sure they could be laid on their side to get air moving horizontally.

RV fridges suffer the condensation battle, so circulating air makes a big difference.

Article on RV Fridge
http://www.campingworld.com/tLibrary/output.cfm?ID=1154053

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I've been wondering about the condensationissue with Wine Coolers. The one I just set up has a big metal plate in the back of it that acts as the coolig element. It has not come on, because it is plenty cool in the garage right now, but come summertime, It will be running more frequently. I noticed when I frst plugged it in, that the metal plate got condensation on it fairly quickly. Will having a couple of fans blowing on that plate reduce the amount of condesation I get in there? I am running a Cigar oasis and about 2 pounds, maybe more of kitty litter right now and everything is peachy.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Those look like a great idea, as you're correct about the Oust fan not really stirring the air very much. What's the time lapse for when it kicks on? I believe the Oust runs for 5 minutes, then shuts off for 20 minutes.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Those look like a great idea, as you're correct about the Oust fan not really stirring the air very much. What's the time lapse for when it kicks on? I believe the Oust runs for 5 minutes, then shuts off for 20 minutes.
These fans are constant on, hence the need for a battery change every 30 +/- days. If you get a chance to check one out, note how much larger the actual motor and blade are compared to the oust. I do think, with constant air circulating- the evaporative process would be much more productive. I'm no HVAC guy, but when I was a wee lad and worked in food service-there was a big ass fan that ran constantly in the giant walkin refer.

Maybe there's an HVAC guy here at BOTL, that can enlighten us.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
These fans are constant on
I'm thinking that might be too much air circulation...I'm not sure that air needs to be constantly moving inside your coolidor.

I have two CPU fans in mine that are hooked to a timer. They kick on for 4 minutes, once every four hours. just enough to move the air around a bit so that the moisture is diffused throughout the fridge. But, this is based simply on guessing what's best, rather than hard physics, as I am hardly an expert.

Maybe someone else who has more experience than me can chime in.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I've read too that a constant on fan is not the best option. I know all the larger companies that produce humidification have their fans set to operate at intervals, not always on.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yah, I'm not sure that running all the time would be good as well. I'm more concerned with condensation in my particular "dor". I don't think that 5/15 with the ousts is enough. I'm using 2 and still alot of moisture on the back wall. I'm going to try a single RV fan that's constant and monitor from there. If you monitor your sticks and their enviroment and all is good-then just maybe. I do agree that, you don't want a wind tunnel. But a good circulation of the air in your dor, I would think could only be advantageous.

Not sure, but I don't think this Monster uses a timed fan.

Attachments

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Correct vorra that the above may not use a timer, I'm not sure, but usually those larger units are not meant to be fans, they're humidification devices. In essence, the fan runs when the unit is actively humidifying the space, if it's not actively humidifying, then the fans don't run.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm pickin up what your'e laying down.

I may have to do a monster garage and marry the timer from the oust to the rv fan.:thumbsup:

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I simply use two cpu fans connected to a old computer power supply. I se the 2 fans over my bowls of beads, Actually you don't need the fans on all the time. All the fans are for are to distribute some of the humidity around the humidor. I like my little set up, low cost to set up and runs as much or as little as I need, all I have to do is flick a switch.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Donk,

Have you ever let it run for an extended period of time? Did you seen an issue with having the fan run constantly? I think the reason we don't see more constant fan is power conservation. I'm wondering what harm a constant wind would do to your smokes as long as the humidity is right.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Actually I have left mine on for weeks at a time. All I see happen is my beads dry out faster. Other than that, the humidity stays higher longer after refilling beads. But once the humidity levels out. It stays rock steady or quite a long time. All my sticks smoke well and maintain a 65% rh. I like it.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Any type of fan will work. the cpu fans I found are small and thin and take up very little room. Only down side are they are 12V, so you need a converter, hense why I used a old computer power supply. I use 2 of them and they are very quiet too. Play around let us know if there are any other great ideas floating out there.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I'm going for the fan he listed at the top on the Bay it's less than $20 shipped. I want to make sure I can evaporate any condensation. I'll let you know.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:crytears: :bottle: :sadstare: :crytears: :argh:

I went through over 30 retailers and all of them either use Amazon (25 of them) and the rest wont ship to Europe!!!

Even all the retailers on E-Bay won't ship!

What gives? Why is so big of a problem?

On a cheap item like this I wouldn't mind if they slapped on a 25-35% increase in price for shipping!!!

GRRRRR!!!!!