What's new

Oven-roasted Prime Rib

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Bought a few whole prime ribs from my favorite butcher a few months back when they went on sale for $8.99/lb.

This one is an 8 lb, 3 rib roast from the small end......large end from this same roast is 12 lbs!!! I let this rest on the counter for 2 hours, after having it wrapped in cheesecloth for 3 days to dry-age in my separate fridge, but the thermometer still says it's 40*? Oh well.

I always like to roast these with some great aromatics and this time went with the following, drizzled in extra virgin olive oil:

- Red onion
- Carrot
- Whole heads of garlic, halved
- Ginger root
- Fresh rosemary

Then I decided to make a paste, as I've always used your typical Montreal Blend from a shaker. This consisted of the following:

- Coarse salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Onion powder
- 8 gloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary, rough chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil

Set my digital thermometer for 119* to take out, let rest for 30 minutes under a tent foil, then should be a PERFECT mid-rare :)

Will post pix of the finished product, but for now, here's what I've got:

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I'm about 45 minutes in and only at 47*, up from 40*....I'm thinking approximately 2 1/2 hours in the oven, then 30 minutes to rest, plate, present, then pic :)

Jeff L.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Oh, for anyone looking to duplicate this recipe, I started at 500* for 20 minutes, then dropped it to 325* until to my desired internal-temp.

Jeff L.

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I also make a creamy horseradish sauce for this dish, that consists of the following:

- Fat-free sour cream
- Prepared horseradish
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Fresh chives, chopped
- Coarse salt
- Fresh ground black pepper

I like a more 'horseradish' taste, so put in a little extra. I'd recommend 2-1 sour cream to horseradish, mix, then taste. Adjust from there, then add everything else.

Jeff L.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i love the fact that we share our joys on this board, no matter what they may be. i HATE the fact that you just made my fat a$$ hungry as all get out, even after dinner!

enjoy it, i will just console myself with a VSG and a french press.