What's new

Oven-roasted Prime Rib

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should try doing this the other way round.

Alton Brown has a great "Good Eats" episode for Prime Rib. 225 degree oven until the meat is 118 in the middle, rest for 15 while the oven goes up to 500, back in to crust it for 10-12 mins, then out and rest for 15 more. Perfect every time.

I actually use my smoker for the 225 degree part with a wireless thermometer to measure the temp. Gives a nice smoky flavor to the crust.

Another key is to try to get actual "Prime" graded meat. Hard to find. I get mine from Bryan Flannery (www.bryansfinefoods.com). You'd be amazed how much better prime meat tastes.

Oh, for anyone looking to duplicate this recipe, I started at 500* for 20 minutes, then dropped it to 325* until to my desired internal-temp.

Jeff L.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Hey fellas,

I'm doing a roast tonight and want some advice here... I bought a 6lb roast but it's only for my wife and I. I don't mind having leftovers and even freezing some leftovers. But do you think it would be best to cut the 6lb roast in half and freeze the other half for future roasting, or do the whole thing and have cooked leftovers?

I'm just worried re-heating that much leftovers will overdo the meat, whereas I might enjoy a fresh 3lb roast in the future... What would you do?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Well I went with doing the whole 6lbs as I thought doing only 3lbs would dry out the roast too much and defeat the purpose of doing a prime rib. I just pulled it out 5 mins ago at 120 degrees and now will be grilling some asparagus and having mashed potatoes to go with it. Late dinner, but that can be our norm and we decided to put our 3 yr old girl to bed and then relax and have dinner after. The smell is incredible, I can't wait... my first Prime Rib! :)

And to top it off... my prep wait time consisted of drinking my first Dogfish 120... wow, what a beer!?! :)

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Oh hell yeah, what a meal! I can't believe it's taken me this long to do a prime rib!?!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wow looks awesome! Need to give it a try. Last one I had was on the smoker and of course was great but a bit chilly to go that way.
I see this being on menu this weekend! Thanks

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Ryan, how are you planning to store your left overs? Just short-term in the fridge or you going to freeze them? I love cooking and especially doing large cuts of meat but my fiancee is a vegetarian so I tend to just do single portion meals like steak. If there's a good method for long-term storage of roasts and prime rib I could have plenty of left overs and not waste anything.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Oh, for anyone looking to duplicate this recipe, I started at 500* for 20 minutes, then dropped it to 325* until to my desired internal-temp.

Jeff L.
I do it this way, too. I let it go at 500 for exactly 5 minutes per pound, then I just turn the oven off and let it sit for two hours. PERFECT every time!

JuYcEmAn

¡Soy un esnob de Fuente!
Rating - 96.9%
37   1   0
Wow! The roast looks delicious. I cook prime rib for Christmas dinner each year. Your recipe is generally the same as what I follow. Just viewing the pictures is making me salivate!

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Wow! The roast looks delicious. I cook prime rib for Christmas dinner each year. Your recipe is generally the same as what I follow. Just viewing the pictures is making me salivate!
I'm just viewing the pictures because if I can't eat it today I can darn well look at it!!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Ryan, how are you planning to store your left overs? Just short-term in the fridge or you going to freeze them? I love cooking and especially doing large cuts of meat but my fiancee is a vegetarian so I tend to just do single portion meals like steak. If there's a good method for long-term storage of roasts and prime rib I could have plenty of left overs and not waste anything.
I saved a little bit fresh for a couple sandwiches the next day, then froze the rest. Obviously fresh meat/dinner can't be beat, but I'm not ashamed to admit I use the freezer. LOL :thumbsup:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
ok, I think i'm ordering a rib roast now. I'll be cooking up some prime rib when i get back stateside.

only difference is I'll start it in the smoker then transfer it to the oven to bark it up.

Smoked Prime Rib with a similar horsey sauce. Yyyyummm yum

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
ok, just got the recipe for the paste as found in th first post. i've always done a dry rub, but I suspect this paste is gonna be good.

Got a 6-7 lb roast. gonna paste it up in th emorning and then smoke it then bark it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always done mine with minimal seasoning, just some black pepper and butter on the ends. After seeing this, I'm gonna need to try this paste. Local store caputo's(sp) seems to run specials on standing rib roasts regularly. Seems time to make a run.