What's new

Oxidation

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
Does anyone have a quick remedy for a pipe stem that has been oxidized? I am getting a really bad sulfur smell from my stem and the color is turning greenish. thanks!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have also used the baking soda trick before, worked well for me.

Once it's clean, coat it with a thin layer of unflavored chap stick every once in a while - that'll lightly seal it and keep it from oxidizing again.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Have also used the baking soda trick before, worked well for me.

Once it's clean, coat it with a thin layer of unflavored chap stick every once in a while - that'll lightly seal it and keep it from oxidizing again.
I never would have thought of that in a million years, thanks for the info my friend! :thumbsup:

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
thanks everyone, your methods worked well! I also heard that after you can put on olive oil once in a while and that works well to slow down the oxidation process.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
thanks everyone, your methods worked well! I also heard that after you can put on olive oil once in a while and that works well to slow down the oxidation process.
Thats it, I was racking my brain trying to think of what kind of oil it was and all I kept coming up with is vegtable oil.

I didn't mention it before beacuse some find it a little odd (or gross) but you can rub the stem against your nose or farhead and deposit some of your skin oil on the stem to cut down on the oxidation.

All in all I prefer lucite stems, no oxidation problems.