What's new

packaging

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
ok, that makes sense i guess. they are the same price as a regular box of 25.
but why package them like that?? you think it would be cheaper. (less packaging)

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
kirscovitch said:
ok, that makes sense i guess. they are the same price as a regular box of 25.
but why package them like that?? you think it would be cheaper. (less packaging)
Point of sale...Like selling a pack of cigarettes. Easier to sell for a tobacconist and to keep on the shelves.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
joshua said:
Is it just 5 of the 5 pack display boxes or do they come in a larger box itself?
The cohibas I bought come in a large branded box that holds 5 pack boxes. In each 5 pack, each stick is also in its own single box. Not sure about other brands, those are the only stick's i've bought in that packaging.

EDIT: actually i lied, its was a 15 pack, 5x3 packs

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Poni said:
The cohibas I bought come in a large branded box that holds 5 pack boxes. In each 5 pack, each stick is also in its own single box. Not sure about other brands, those are the only stick's i've bought in that packaging.

EDIT: actually i lied, its was a 15 pack, 5x3 packs
Thats a whole lot of boxes

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
5 cigars in a cardboard box with 5 cardboard boxes. They do that for the shops, IMO. It's easier for them to sell and the presentation might appeal to a customer. If it's the same date and I had a choice between a dressbox and 5x5, I'd take the dressbox.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Didn't see mentioned, but the 5x5, 3x5, 5x3 etc. does usually mean comes in cardboard like mentioned above, then all come in a larger cardboard box. The 5 packs (or 3 packs) can then be sold separatly at retail stores. Mostly we buy these online and makes sense for the vendors to sell the whole 25 at a time. Cardbaord does have more packaging, but cost less than any actual other cedar type boxes.

A box of 25 means usually dress box (thin wood/cedar wrapped in manufacturers paper with pretty labels) or box made completely of cedar either SLB (slide lid box) or varnished wood. Some will say A/T means the cigars individually packed inside aluminum tubes.

You might also see packaging as 898. Just means the cigars are in three layers of 8, then 9, then 8 for total of 25 vs two layers of 13 on top then 12on bottom. Sometimes 10 cigars are sold as 343 in three layers also.

As a newer person, this is how I know them to be. Just posting some thought for others that may be new also.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
The 5x5 Colonials I got came just like the Cohibas Larry described...one outer cardboard box...five smaller cardboard boxes within containing five cigars, each within it's own cardboard box.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
All depends on the brand, but it's 5 cardboard boxes with 5 cigars per box (whether the individual cigars are boxed varies I think). The reason to buy one or the other really has to do with how you stor your smokes or what you plan on doing with them IMO. If you are doing a box split, the 5x5's are perfect, makes everything very easy. If you are buying to smoke right away or to keep in a singles drawer, doesn't really matter. If you are looking to store and age, you need to go DB or SLB IMHO.