What's new

Padron 1926 40th Anniversary and Johnny Walker Blue (partial review)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
* This was the only cigar I reviewed on my cruise. This particular day was a day at sea and the weather was cold and windy which made for rough seas, no sun and nothing to do but relax. I did not take any pictures and I was also interrupted near the start of the final third so this is only a partial review...
** This is also a hat tip to Cigar Jedi's review of the same cigar with a different pairing in Cigars and Spirits Magazine.

The lighting method used was a soft flame to get the foot to a glowing red followed by a straight cut. The first few puffs give a mild exotic spice (not peppery) and some leather. Bring the nose into it and you get coffee bean and mild chocolate aromas that combine with the palate flavors for a creamy, spicy, sweet melange.

As I sit and enjoy the flavors I draw and pull the cigar away. It was a perfect timing scenario on this particular draw that created a sort of vortex from my lips to the tip of the cigar resulting in a horizontal rotating smoke trail that put an odd little smirk on my face. Sometimes it's not always the flavors or aromas of a cigar that can bring you joy. Sometimes it's just luck and timing.

As I get further into the first third the flavors have melded and found their own place in this experience. It seems as though the sweeter parts have taken a back seat and allowed the spice and leather side to drive for a bit. The burn is good, a bit wavy but smooth. As I inspect it I can already see that it has started to correct in its own in just the first inch. I do not expect any burn issues here but I know from experience that this will not be a razor sharp burn. As mentioned I lit this fine smoke using a soft flame and then cut. As I have smoked a few of these cigars before I can say this one has had a much more interesting start than any previous.

I keep a glass of club soda (no ice) on hand to cleanse my palate. I also keep a glass of Johnny Walker Blue Label to accompany my experience this day. My first sip of JWB gives me some smoke and sweetness on the nose followed by a honey smooth texture with another type of sweetness and some dried fruit flavors. The finish is a mild sweetness and just a touch of spice on the palate. As I bring in a puff from the Padron the flavors and aromas combine for a truly exceptional experience. The smokey sweetness from the JWB the leathery spice from the Padron come together for some creamy texture and smooth tobacco finish. At any moment any flavor previously mentioned comes forward. All flavors are in play now and my smirk has turned to a smile.

I experiment with a sip then a draw. I cleanse the palate then draw and sip. Each delivering a different start and finish to each cycle.
Sip and draw starting sweet and smokey then finishing with leather and a subdued spice.
Draw and sip starting with leather flavor and coffee nose finishing with a wonderful lingering sweetness.

The first third has been a fun little experiment. As the ship sways in the choppy waters I now turn my focus back to the matter at hand. A spicy finish on the first third and enter the second third with a more throat tickling spice from the Padron though I now know I can counter that with a sip of JWB.

I've allowed my mind to wander a bit and am now at the half way point. The Padron has become more leathery spice with few if any of the sweeter aspects showing. I've barely sipped the JWB only because I'm almost out and the bar I get it from is at the other end of the ship. This is not untypical behavior for the Padron, especially the 1926 series.

Second third to final third has been consistent in burn and overall flavor with a slight decrease in spice kick and a slight pick up in complexity of flavors. It takes some concentration to pick them out now but they are present and show as cedar woodsy flavors, dark chocolate, not peppery spices but that pepper is there as well.

It was about here that I was interrupted by a visitor and we sat and smoked. I took my Padron down to a nub and enjoyed every moment of it wether I was concentrating on the review or just enjoying the smoke during a conversation.
The JWB had become my staple during the cruise and as I currently transfer this review to BOTL I have a bottle of blue in front of me that I am eyeballing like a hungry lion in a butcher shop. Soon my friend, soon!