What's new

Padron 80th Ani Review

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Padron Serie 1926 80th Anniversary Maduro Review

As some of you may know, I recently posted a review of Cigar Aficionados cigar of the year - the Padron Family Reserve 1964 45th Anniversary Maduro. I was so pleased with this cigar that I proclaimed it was the best cigar I had ever smoked, but, after putting up the review I was approached by several BOTL's who insisted I MUST try the Padron Serie 1926 80th Anniversary Maduro before I could say I'd had the best that Padron had to offer. Well, it just so happens I have one of these resting in my humi and were going to find out how it rates rates in comparison right now.

My first impressions of this Nicaraguan Puro are of it's intriguing shape and size, a box-pressed Figurado measuring 6 ¾ x 54 - It`s easy to tell from its appearance that this cigar was created with the idea of elegance in mind. True to Padron's form, the 80th boasts excellent construction; tightly joined seams with no imperfections to be found, nearly non-existent veins, and a deep rich oil sheen complete the chocolaty rich maduro wrapper. If you like maduros as much as I do, you should be salivating a little by now.

Pre-Light: After clipping roughly half an inch off the "shoulder" of this Figurado, I dove right into the pre-Light draw. The flavor profile from the cold draw was milder than I had expected, almost gentle if you will. Light cocoa notes dance along the back of my pallet, followed by a soft spice and the lingering aftertaste of mild tobacco, not exactly uplifting, but interesting none the less. Taking in the fragrances of the wrapper and foot, the aroma offers some what stronger notes of cocoa, and the ever present barnyard nuance.

Light: After toasting and lighting, I am absolutely stunned by the amount of light cocoa and sweet tobacco that strike the palette immediately upon drawing. The draw is exceptional and while there are some hints of spice, smooth is the only word that comes to mind. The retro-hale is composed mostly of what I feel would be best described as semi-sweet bakers chocolate mixed with some spice, while the ambient burn shares the wonderful cocoa nuances present on the draw.

First Third: Letting the flavors of the first third sink into my palette, I am enjoying a wonderful meld of notes. The light cocoa and sweet tobacco that were present on the light continue to settle in gently, with a transition into dry bakers chocolate. As I continue to smoke through the first third, the sweetness only intensifies, leaving some toasted nut when the draw is expelled. The retro-hale is still exceptionally chocolaty, with plentiful fragrances of dry bakers chocolate and sweet tobacco. The ambient burn only accentuates these aromas as plumes of sweet cocoa waft into my nose as I hold the cigar in my mouth. The burn line is excellent and the ash easily holds for two inches before dropping.

Second Third: After an exceptional first third, this Padron continues to expand upon its flavor profile well into the second. The dry bakers chocolate has become more pronounced, now carrying with it a heavier sweetness. In addition to this, hints of almond and espresso settle softly onto the pallet, along with some spice as I expel the draw. The retro-hales still holds onto fragrances of bakers chocolate, as well as some darker cocoa undertones with hints of espresso. The ambient burn continues to remain quite sweet as swaths of smoke drift up to greet the senses. The burn remains excellent, though now holding ash for only an inch and half.

Final Third: This 80th Ani has remained smooth through out, though its flavors are now starting to come on more heavily, though not unnaturally. The sweet notes present in the first two thirds are now beginning to fade, but the cigar still continues to retain dry cocoa notes on the draw. Spice is now also firmly present as the burn approaches the nub, while a meld of toasted almond and a stronger espresso accentuate the finish. The retro-hale is a wonderfully complex melting pot of fragrances giving off toasted almond, espresso and sweet cocoa, while the ambient burn shares plenty of sweet notes with a final hint of almond. The burn line remains excellent as it had through out the entirety of the cigar, and the ash, though it did not fall in the last third, held on for just over another inch before I finished smoking.

Final thoughts: Simply put, I was wrong to assume that the Padron Family Reserve 1964 45th Anniversary Maduro was the piece de resistance without smoking all that Padron had to offer. I don`t know what the men and women over at Cigar Aficionado were thinking when they named their No. 1 cigar of the year, but the Padron Serie 1926 80th Anniversary Maduro firmly ranks as the top cigar in my books. If you enjoy Padron's or Nicaraguan Puros, go out and spend the $32 dollars and make sure you try one of these. It is more than worth the investment!

Total smoking time was roughly two hours.

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I new it would blow you away!!! The padron line is excellent for sure but that 80th is something to behold. It is the pinnicle of the Padron line IMO. I had the exact same flavor profile as you. It was like watching a fire works show as the cigars flavors change brillantly and finish with a wonderfull Grand Finale.
Again great review and pics!!!

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I new it would blow you away!!! The padron line is excellent for sure but that 80th is something to behold. It is the pinnicle of the Padron line IMO. I had the exact same flavor profile as you. It was like watching a fire works show as the cigars flavors change brillantly and finish with a wonderfull Grand Finale.
Again great review and pics!!!
Yeah, you were definitely right, this was one ungodly cocktail of awesome lol

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
excellent review!! love the pics (i miss my palio :sadcry:). have you had the 40th? tis still my favorite padron!!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thank you for the great review.

This is grand news -- I have an 80th resting in my humidor as well. I've also smoked the 45th and thought it was likely the best Padron out there; you've given me hope that there is another Padron that can top it.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
excellent review!! love the pics (i miss my palio :sadcry:). have you had the 40th? tis still my favorite padron!!
It is among the cigars I have up in this poll [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=39582"]Reviews YOU want to see - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame] vote for it if you want to see the review :p

Thanks all for the positive support!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Fantastic review, Shawn!! Again thanks for the pics and review. That is the only way to smoke a Padron... to the nub!! (I'm not liable on that use of the name, am I?)

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Awesome review, I love me some Padron's!

Man, the oils coming gleaming from that wrapper is phenomenal, looks so good.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Great review of a great smoke!

It seems like some people have trouble finding these, I guess I'm spoiled. My local B&M always has them, but they sell a ton of padron.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Awesome review, I love me some Padron's!

Man, the oils coming gleaming from that wrapper is phenomenal, looks so good.
It really does emit beauty

Great review of a great smoke!

It seems like some people have trouble finding these, I guess I'm spoiled. My local B&M always has them, but they sell a ton of padron.
Yes, they are somewhat HTF but pick some up if you can!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Great review, glad you liked it! I've never had one of these (tough to find), but I look forward to it some day.