What's new

Pairing Single Malts with Cigars....

tenuki

Maduro Maniac
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You've got some good Islay malts there hawk...I will add another:
Bowmore 12. I'd pair the Bowmore up with a Bolivar.

The Laphroig is so peaty and pungent I can't think of a cigar that would pair up well with it. I have not had any of the other single malts you listed.

Some other less smoky malts:

Aberlour 10
Macallan (I just got the 18 for Christmas) $$$

Both of the malts above are aged in sherry casks. The Aberlour is fruity/spicy while the Macallan 18 is fruity/spicy also....but I found it more rich and complex with a slightly smoky finish.

For those not familiar with single malts, if it's from the Islay region it is heavily peat smoked. You are going to need one hell of a cigar to stand up to these!

I think the Aberlour or the Macallan would pair up with Partagas pretty well.

I've had a few other cigars that paired well with scotch, but I can't remember right now. I usually drink a beer or two with my cigars...sometimes the scotch can overpower.....make sure to have some water to sip on, that helps.
I drink Laphroaig quarter cask neat with stronger cigars and love it.

btw, the Glenmorangie D'or (what they are calling their burgandy finished now) is similar to the aberlour and my favorite for any cigar straight up.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
How do you take your scotch...neat? On the rocks? Water?
In Scotland, they sell a small bottle of water from the region the scotch is from, so not to effect the natural flavors, but still "open up" the scotch.

I prefer everything I drink ice cold (including my coffee) so I always drink my Scotch on the rocks, no water added. I just allow the ice to melt down 50% before drinking.

Some big spender bought me and my buddies a glass of the Macallan Fine Oak 30 year while we were in Vegas for a bachelor party.

The best I have bought was a 25 year Macallan and it was $70.00 a glass. I don't even want to know how much the 30 year old was.

For the Macallan 12 yr, 15yr and 18yr, they say a fair price at the bar is a buck a year. I have found that to be pretty true.

The Macallan 15yr is my usual.