What's new

Palio - subtle but good

sogon

El Capitan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received my Palio, at first I really didn't seem to notice anything especially amazing about it. As I have been using it, I have noticed little things such as the shape to allow holding cigars that aren't really super amazing but are incredibly useful. The way it feel in your hand and the action of it are very smooth, not in a loose way but like a well fitted cabinet door, everything is just right.

Based on how much everyone here raves about it, I assumed that it would cut through a cigar like butter.... It does not.

The manufacturing seems to be top notch and as I tend to prefer things that do what they do, well, and not much else, it fits into my livestyle of simplicity quite well. I am definately pleased with this cutter, certainly the best I've owned, anyone out there looking into buying one, go for it, you will not be dissapointed.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
got the carbon fiber a few months back,,, great cutter! i also like my xikar, but the palio travels well!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I love mine. MY Xikar has broken on me before (great customer service, and replaced quickly) but the Palio has never broken, and seems to get sharper as I use it.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Based on how much everyone here raves about it, I assumed that it would cut through a cigar like butter.... It does not.
Interesting, maybe you are cutting it too slow? :dunno: While not as clean as a SAK, I think the thin blade design on the Palio beats the thicker blade of the XiKar - and as you mentioned, the ergonomics give you excellent control of the cut.

sogon

El Capitan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, maybe you are cutting it too slow? :dunno: While not as clean as a SAK, I think the thin blade design on the Palio beats the thicker blade of the XiKar - and as you mentioned, the ergonomics give you excellent control of the cut.
Don't get me wrong, the palio cuts well, I was just expecting a significant difference in the amount of resistance from the cigar, that you get with other cutters.

I would like try the SAK also, however the bad thing about buying high quality products, is that I justify it to my wife by saying that they will last forever, unfortunately they do. I had the same pair of titanium alloy Oakley sunglasses for like 7 years, finally I had to convince her that 7 years was "forever" and got a new pair. I imagine I'll have to wait a wile before she lets me get another cutter.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Boy, if you want a precise, ultra-clean cut, you can't beat the SAK. I love mine and find I'm using it more and more nowadays....certainly more than my Xikar.

cjazz

Hecho en USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Palio. I was never crazy about ergonomics of the Xikar. When my next accessory impulsive buy hits me I may consider a SAK.

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been in the market for a cutter ever since I accidentally threw my Beechwood Xikar away a few months back. (I'm still kicking myself!!) I've been looking at the new exotic wood cutters by Zikar, but I may go with the Palio in the mean time! They seem to be a hell of a cutter!

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I had a Xikar xi2 first, then picked up the Palio. Later on a SAK was gifted by Tom. I swore by the Xikar as first, but seems my everyday cutter is the Palio hands down and is carried with the torch and cigar stand. I hardly use the other two great cutters for the last year. The SAK is generally kept in my car as has other uses than just a cutter and the Xikar is at home as a backup. If I had to chose one cutter, the Palio would get my vote.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I bought one of these the other day, it should come in the mail soon. I'm excited to see how it works.