What's new

Pappy kool aid?

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Now I have to ask as a fairly devout bourbon drinker what is really going on with the pappy kool aid. I love pappy and used to consider it a deal but something has changed when I get asked about a bottle of the 10 yr 107 proof for $150. When I bought the bottle in my desk it $55 in Canada and I thought that was fair and used to be much cheaper in the us which was a steal.

I don't mean to pick on the Van Winkle line up at all as I think I have a bottle of each in the line up at some point of consumption. I do consider it to be one of the better bourbons out there with very few close but this is getting crazy. I am now going to have to stare at the decanter without drinking from it as if they release it again I doubt I would be able to afford it or at least lot willing to part with as much as they would be asking.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I like it for special occasions but not for the insane prices. It's really good but it is priced out when they want that much.

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
That's why I posted this yesterday. I know it's hit my local stores and has gone already so I decided to CL it just to see what came up. I figured $100-$150 a bottle, I really have no idea what it should sell for... but this is ridiculous. I really have no idea what the MSRP is, or if there even is one. It seems like retailers just throw a number out and people pay it. I've never had it and I could be talking out my ass, but I can't imagine it's 10-20x better than the other products that Buffalo Trace puts out to justify a price like that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
It's priced so far out of my range that I have never even thought about looking for it. It may be the greatest bourbon in the world, but I'm not spending that kind of money on any 1 bottle. I will stick with my Woodford, if I want to splurge maybe Blanton's. Not bashing Pappy, just not in my price range.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
the problem is it is VERY low production, and VERY high demand. it is bad enough when people buy it to flip it, which is just petty, but hey, free market, but even worse when the retail level decides to get in on the action. same reason maker's really doesn't want to make charity collectible bottles anymore, the secondary gouging and the retail level gouging.

if you see it out somewhere jacked up, ask here. someone, possibly me, will verify an approximate retail value. i really can't fault someone making a few extra points on something, within reason, but if you think they are gouging, i personally would never give them another cent. ever.

FWIW this is coming from someone who has worked invoices with pappy product on them.

Last edited:

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Last time I bought pappy 20 it was $125 a bottle here in Canada but I think I got a deal as well. But again a fair price in my books
that's not far off my current price (if i had it). at a canadian tax base, even if you bought it a little while back, somone did you solid on that.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I've been on it for years and I love the stuff. Old man's been my avatar since I joined this site some years back.

I remember my first taste of the 15yr around 2004 or 2005 and my thinking, "this is exactly what bourbon ought to be." It was a moment of clarity - as though all the whiskies I'd ever tried had immediately arranged themselves on a spectrum in my mind with VW15 at the center. For me, it is the single best spirit out there, bar none.

Some of the prices are outrageous, sure, and I shoulder more than my fair share of responsibility for that. My fandom for Pappy would shame even the most horn-rimmed of Apple devotees, and what's worse, on more than one occasion I've gone so far as to buy it at a mark-up! Shame on me, I know. Had only I known you sonsofbitches were going to do the same, I'd have kept my pappy little secret to myself!

I think we can all agree that the world would be a better place if there were more Pappy to piss away, but there's not. If you can find it at retail, good for (and fuck) you. I'm gonna continue to get it anyway I can because it's worth it to me.

Happy hunting!

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Java, your link isn't working. So what is MSRP on the stuff? I don't mind paying a far price for a good produce. It's the paying someone 5x MSRP because they got there 5 minutes before me that really pisses me off.

Herfin', you're buying it because you love to drink it....the way the maker intended it to be. Good!

I'll stop now, sorry

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Never really got onboard the $$$ pvw hypetrain.
All the while this made for easypickens with the Stagg there for abit though.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Java, your link isn't working. So what is MSRP on the stuff? I don't mind paying a far price for a good produce. It's the paying someone 5x MSRP because they got there 5 minutes before me that really pisses me off.

Herfin', you're buying it because you love to drink it....the way the maker intended it to be. Good!

I'll stop now, sorry
my bad, that was an underscore, not a link!

keep in mind, this is at the kentucky tax base, and just based on recent memory of what my boss and i do:
10yr, ~$38
12yr, ~$55
13yr rye, ~$65
15yr, ~$75
20yr, ~$115
23yr, ~$225

i cannot fault someone taking an extra 10% or so, hell, they scored a pappy allocation, right? and take in to account your local market; if your state is high o booze, know that going in.

and, mind, this is without any sales tax, and at the lowest sane mark up for this.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Ive been following pappy for some time and always wanted a bottle; but the crazy availability and prices have kept me out of the game.

Is it worth the money? Dumb question I know but just curious with all the insane hype around the brand.

Rating - 100%
144   0   0

I'll stop now, sorry
my bad, that was an underscore, not a link!

keep in mind, this is at the kentucky tax base, and just based on recent memory of what my boss and i do:
10yr, ~$38
12yr, ~$55
13yr rye, ~$65
15yr, ~$75
20yr, ~$115
23yr, ~$225

i cannot fault someone taking an extra 10% or so, hell, they scored a pappy allocation, right? and take in to account your local market; if your state is high o booze, know that going in.

and, mind, this is without any sales tax, and at the lowest sane mark up for this.
Always wondered myself too, I'd love to try it being that it is held in such high regard but even if I could find it, I wouldn't be able to afford some of the price tags ive heard about places charging for it. Now if I found it for the prices above, id probably spring for the 15 yr and keep it as a special occasion bottle, but dont think that is gona happen...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
All I can say is, there's a LOT of great single malt scotch available at those prices...

Rating - 98%
85   1   0
The prices that people are charging above msrp are just not right. I love bourbon. With that said, if I had to pay above msrp for a bottle, it would only be for Stagg or Handy. Pappy is great, especially the 23, but the markup is too much for the quality. Stagg and Handy are just flat out better, and better priced.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I love pappy. The 23yr family reserve decanter was a fantastic deal at $350 and would have been fair to $600. That said when the 20yr is going for $600 something is wrong. I look at in the fact that bourbons are tougher to age for as long as scotches just due to climate differences but their aren't a lot of 20yr old scotches over $300. I guess half of what my problem is is I would prefer to see the profits going to the maker then to stores gouging or even worse people selling on ebay and craigslist for 4-5 times what they bought it for. I does seem to make the other great bourbons a deal. But hey we all always new Stagg was a deal. Lets just not say that too loudly.

And yes $125 for for the 20yr was through a buddy who used to be the rep for Pappy in Alberta when it still came here :(

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
As an avid bourbon drinker, I can say PVW is the real deal and for the most part is worth what it costs when it can be found.

Having said that- I drink WAY too much bourbon and stick with something that works in my price range. Very tasty bourbons can be had for under $45/handle, and I stick with those for the most part.

Hi...my name is David and I'm an alcoholic :)

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Max I blame you and a couple others for the Pappy craze. If you would of just kept your mouth shut!!!!! Guys like me would've never started drinking it. Oh wait..... Um that came out wrong..... Kind of a shame that our grandfather of pappy hasn't been able to pick one up.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk