What's new

Partagas 898 (Varnish)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had two of these in the Legendor from a group buy 8 months ago. I did not have the box code for them. I smoked #1 about 10 days ago. #2 was burned last night.

6.625 x 43
Nice light brown wrapper. Very smooth without the veins showing prominently. A beautiful cigar. The caps both cut very easily on both.

My impression (of both cigars) was practically the same. Very smooth and tasty. They burned very cool until right about the band. I'm not normally a fan of anything longer than a corona or a robusto but this Lonsdale has me rethinking that. With a smaller ring gauge than a lot of other longer cigars, I really enjoyed these.

My one complaint was that they each burned a little uneven. No canoeing or tunneling but the burn was not straight. The ash was a nice grey color and I only needed to tap off twice. The draw was awesome. I was walking while I smoked both and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The 1st third of each cigar was slightly mild with traces of earthiness and grassiness. That picked up for the 2nd third and by the last third, it was full on. I tend to struggle when trying to pick the flavors of a cigar. Earthiness and grassiness always seem to emerge first for the most part. I like it, and maybe because I do, that's why I pick it out.

IMO, these run a bit more expensive than I like to spend on a box but based on what I have experienced with this sample, I'll think about buying a box in the near future.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Nice review. I have gone from "yet-to-try" to a definite top 10 with these smokes in a short period of time. I find them more complex than many narrow guage cigars and I love the Partagas flavor.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Just smoked my first one last week. It was a 99 and :hearteyes I loved it. One of the top 5 cigars I've ever smoked. Must get more and would recomend these to any Party Ho.

Da Klugs

Fluffmeister
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Hot_Sauce said:
Just smoked my first one last week. It was a 99 and :hearteyes I loved it. One of the top 5 cigars I've ever smoked. Must get more and would recomend these to any Party Ho.
:thumbsup:

Rutkus

Newb Puke
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I saw a pic of these a while ago, i've never had one but they look absolutely delicious. too bad they are no longer made..

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Rutkus said:
I saw a pic of these a while ago, i've never had one but they look absolutely delicious. too bad they are no longer made..
Rutkus,, Are you sure about these no longer bieng made? I thought that the non varnished was the only one on the disco list.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Great cigar, I have some fresher ones and some aged ones on the way.

I also am a fan of the unvarnished, a different flavor profile but quite a good smooth smoke...1998s are the best!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Oh man are these nice. Just got some in with a little age and had to lit one up. I keep finding great cigars from advice on this site. Thanks guys.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are cigars that I have trouble keeping around. I smoke them up faster than I can replace them. I like the lonsdale size and I haven't had one of these that have been plugged. I get good volumes of smoke and they last a while.
Being a fan of a good londsdale, I also like the Monte #1 and the Boli Lonsdale.

Barry

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
scarecrow said:
These are cigars that I have trouble keeping around. I smoke them up faster than I can replace them. I like the lonsdale size and I haven't had one of these that have been plugged. I get good volumes of smoke and they last a while.
Being a fan of a good londsdale, I also like the Monte #1 and the Boli Lonsdale.

Barry
I'm a BIG Bolivar fan. I will have to give those a try. Thanks.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I'd still be leary of buying small RG cigars from that period unless the vendor can guarantee you won't get plugs and if you do that he'll refund your money.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another one of my Favorite Cigars,
As a rule I try to either buy aged or I buy with the intention to age, Except this cigar. I know everyone has their preference. And I have mine.. LOL. Maybe it is I have developed a taste early on in my cigar smoking experience with the Young Partagas 898Varn. What ever it is, I like them almost right off the truck, well not exactly .. lol, I do let them rest a bit. I tend to smoke these within 2-3 years of box code date.
When I think of these cigars, I think Spicy that has a signature of Partagas, earthy, and leather.
Just a wonderful Smoke.

Deez