What's new

Partagas Habana Serie D No. 2, Edicion Limitado 2003

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy, did this one ever look like a treat laying in the humidor! A six inch by 47 ring double-corona, when I raised the lid tonight it practically called out "pick me, pick me".

This cigar is Cuban all the way, from the Maduro wrap to the filler. A rather unusual banding in that it has two seperate bands, one the usual Partagas band, and directly below it the Edicion Limitado band.

It appears well made, tightly constructed. The wrapper is a bit toothy, as a lot of Cubanos tend to be, and has a lot of visible vein, but it's well capped and tight and hard on the cut end. The pre-light aroma is rich and earthy, as if you've just driven your hand into some well composted, fertile soil. It also seems to like the Spanish cedar lining of my humidor, and has picked up a touch of that as well.

I was a little sloppy on the clip, and got it at a bit of an angle. The Partagas didn't care, and stayed tightly together at the clip.

The light was easy, the draw FULL of smoke, and I knew right away that this was going to be a full-bodied smoke. The pull was cool and easy, but there was an almost immediate touch of fire on the tongue. The smoke was heavy with spice, especially pepper, and had a rich, deep earthy feel to it.

The burn is perfectly even, and produces a hard, light grey ash.

Midway through it developed a tendency to run a bit. A drop of bourbon on my fingertip stopped it in its tracks. The flavor remained constant, very full-bodied without ever becoming harsh or hot.

The finish was rich and spicy without becoming overpowering.

I'm going to rate this one a "2":

While I smoked it to the band, I normally prefer a little bit milder smoke, so I wouldn't choose it for an "everyday", and I couldn't recommend this one to a beginner. This IS a powerful smoke, and while I liked it, most newbies probably wouldn't. However, it's an outstanding stick that is worth keeping in the humidor for a special occasion, and sharing with a friend who already appreciates fine cigars.

See the full review with photos, and an explanation of our rating system, on my blog, listed below.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Of the PSD EL's(1,2,3) this is the mildest. If you find this one to be strong, then the PSD3 will knock you out. :smt062 Thanks for the review.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the review. Just picked up a few of these, and I'm really looking forward to them now.

Mad Dawg

Herf Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SMOKOZUNA said:
Of the PSD EL's(1,2,3) this is the mildest. If you find this one to be strong, then the PSD3 will knock you out. :smt062 Thanks for the review.
True dat! Not surprisingly, the PSD3 is my favorite of the lineup so far....