What's new

Partagas Serie D No. 4

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Fall is definitely approaching. This morning it was slightly chilly as I sat down on the porch to enjoy the last bit of my three day weekend. For this morning's smoke I had selected a Partagas Serie D No. 4 (PSD4). From what I've read this is cigar gets a lot of praise, so I was pretty curious to see for myself. First off I do not have an idea as to what box code this is. I have received a few of these from different sources and was not diligent enough to track which was from where. So even if I could find out I could not be certain which cigar was which. Sorry.

Gleaming slightly in the morning sun this is a beautiful looking cigar. Medium tan wrapper with some small black dots that take the cigar look as if it should have a rough feel, but it is silky smooth. Seams are nearly invisible and the triple cap is blended perfectly with the cigar. There are a couple of veins present and if not for them this would be a perfectly constructed (visually at least) cigar.

Bringing the cigar to my nose, I am met with a slightly sweet, cedar, barnyard aroma. Wonderful. The cigar feels well packed. Perhaps too well given that CCs are notorious for being plugged.

Cap slipped easily with the Palio and the initial draw confirms my fears. The draw is on the tight side, but not quite so much that it should be unsmokable...just going to have to work for it a little more. Initial flavors were a sweet, nutty, grass like mixture.

Lighting the PSD4 was easy, even with the breeze blowing across the porch this morning. Initially it was difficult to pick up on more than a sweet cedar flavor. The constricted draw didn't allow for much smoke output and as such the flavors were tantalizingly faint. Given the chilly weather this morning I had decided to make a cup of hot tea while I enjoyed my cigar. I am really enjoying the new mug I got yesterday too :grin:.

After a few puffs I started to get more of a nutty/grassy profile, but still with that sweet cedar to it.

As the cigar progressed the burn was pretty good. There were a few touch ups needed here and there. Some of which were probably related to the tight draw, but others to a pesky vein which kept leading the burn astray.

Flavors really remained (from what I could tell) pretty constant through most of the cigar. Not that that is a complaint because they were tauntingly good. By that I mean that I couldn't ever really get enough smoke to drench my palate in flavor, but what I was getting kept me wanting more.

By about the half way point the flavors changed a little. The sweet cedar dropped off quite a bit to be replaced by a slightly earthy flavor. This was combined with a heavy grass/light woodiness and some spice on the retro. Overall not bad.

I finally couldn't take the tight draw and frequent touch ups and ended up putting the cigar down a little after entering the final third. I enjoyed this cigar despite the obvious difficulties. I do wish the draw wasn't so tight, but what are you going to do :dunno:...at least it was mostly smokable. I hope the others I have fare better and if they do then this should easily be one of my favorite cigars.

Dan

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Good review.

I happened to smoke the same stick today and had almost the complete opposite experience. Stick was to loose, burn was terrible. I picked up most of the same flavors as you, just wish it had been smokeable. I put mine down entering the last third and went and found a different stick as I hate stopping when I'm not satisfied. Ended up grabbing a Tat 2009 that hit the spot nicely.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Dan nice review. Just curious did u try to reclip it just so slightly? Almost looks like the pig tail they sometimes push in the middle(before applying the cap) is still showing. Sorry for the poor showing a box of 09s I have are coming along nicely.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Great review as always Dan, I'm still dying to give these a go one of these days. I'll probably spark mine up soonish.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Thanks for the review and nice pic's and keep them coming.

Sorry to hear that you had issues with this cigar. When "on" the PSD4 is one of my all time favorite cigars.

PS: Thats a cool looking scull and cross bone mug you got there.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I happened to smoke the same stick today and had almost the complete opposite experience.
So you are the Ying to my Yang :grin:.

Just curious did u try to reclip it just so slightly? Almost looks like the pig tail they sometimes push in the middle(before applying the cap) is still showing.
Yeah I wondered about that "tuft" sticking up. I did clip a little more off after the first third or so. A little improvement, but not nearly enough.

Dan

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Great pictures and review, Dan!

I've only had one of these, and the flavor was horrible (I think it was at Frank's Lounge with you, that night). I've heard good and bad experiences with this stick. Luckily, I have quite a few squirreled away in my humi. Will have to give it a try, again, soon.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Just put one of these out... Draw was just about perfect, but still burned a little wonky in the second half. Love the flavor, though. Best of luck with the next one, fellas.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I really want to "love" these cigars but so far the smoking experience I've had with these just hasn't done it for me. I have about four of these resting in my humi. Hopefully the next time I lite another up it'll be better.
Thanks for the review and pics bro...love the mug!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Smoked a 2008 LE Partagas this am- a close cousin of the psd#4. Wish I had bought more boxes of these little spice bombs they are burning great!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Nice review. Had that problem with a punch punch last weekend. Had to pick at it with a draw tool a few time to loosen it up.

Flyer75

Flyer Faithful
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmmm. I have one in my humi. I might give it a try today and compare notes Dan. Thanx for the review.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I have not had a plugged one yet, but had a HDM that was plugged last night, and can relate how much of a pain it is to smoke. Nothing worse then having to toss a cigar after one or 2 inches.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
i've almost gone through a couple of boxes of these and havent come across a plugged one yet and its my go to sick.. lucky i guess from the sound of things.

Flyer75

Flyer Faithful
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, having just lit mine up, I can say that I'm having the exact same difficulty Dan. Very very tight draw. But boy is the flavor great. I love the cinnamon like spice at the beginning of this smoke.