What's new

Paul Garmirian Interview

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
So um yeah, PG might need to learn to apply a filter when opening his mouth. I am a bit shocked. I came across this on twitter late yesterday, after seeing Dion commenting on it. Makes me a bit sad, as I really enjoy PG cigars. Anyways, I linked to the full interview. Comments?

“There’s a magazine article that came out two weeks ago,” Garmirian explained, “that had all the, I call them ‘The Looney Club.’ All the loonies. You know: Tatuaje, Drew Estate, Don Giolito [from Illusione Cigars]. All these — This is crazy. Who are these people? [It’s] hip-hop, where they have bastardized cigar smoking to a level of being a la vogue, being cool.”

http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/17/cigar-hunter-paul-garmirian-the-calm-contrarian-part-1/

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I met Mr. Garmirian about ten or so years ago at an RTDA show. I went up to him at his booth and complimented him on his book. I told him it was a classic and one of the first books I had read on cigars when I began smoking in the early 90s. He basically just gave me a scowl, asked me how many cigars I was going to buy and then gave me the brush off. I have had no respect for the guy since.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Just read the article and PG comes off looking like a douchebag in it. I think he would have been best served to not mention the article or name drop and he probably would have been better off. I think he is failing to realize that the people he called out have as much passion and WAY more energy about cigars than he does. To me it sounds like a bit of jealousy on his part as to what some of them have achieved.

It's easy for him to sit back and say he doesn't have reps, he doesn't have "fancy" boxes, he doesn't have this or doesn't do that. I would also guess he doesn't have a cell phone or know how to turn a computer on. Times change my friend, and you sink or swim. I think he needs to recognize some of the talent that is out there and also show some respect to these "young bucks" in the business. Not only do they sell some great cigars, they also fight hard for the rights of cigar smokers to enjoy cigars, even cigars like PG produces.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like he doesn't want anyone to smoke his cigars but him.
This is exactly what I got from the interview as well. It's like if you do not smoke his cigars, you are doing it wrong. He is entitled to his own opinion, but the tone he takes towards the future of the industry does not do him any favors in my opinion.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I commented on the article. I was being nice there, lol. The guy seems like an azzhat to me. Clueless and irrelevant, and bitter about it.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I don't think PG appreciates the renaissance those 'Loonies' have brought to the cigar industry and the new generation of cigar smokers they've brought along with them.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
PG comes off like some 1950's style businessman with a cosanostra mentality.
And i can see where the bitter old man comes from.

Pete with the 666 fascination,
Dion using jim jones kool aid props,
Drew Estate and old women puking ads,

not pretty, but effectively shrewd and unapologetic.

like i like it.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I understand why those in the cigar industry might be upset but I personally don't care. We're not talking about illegal behaviour by PG, just unwise comments. He clearly is okay with selling a limited number of cigars and doesn't care about making friends in the industry.

If JD and Steve were idiots, I would still smoke LP.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Drew Estate and old women puking ads,
Huh? What am I missing? I have been intimately involved in the ads for the last 7 plus years and I will be damned if I can recall this one... What ad are you referring to DQ?

Thanx,

STS

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I commented on the article. I was being nice there, lol. The guy seems like an azzhat to me. Clueless and irrelevant, and bitter about it.
I read your comment on the article and just about spit my coffee all over the screen.....Priceless!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it's more about economics...

from the Article.

“The highest year was 1996, which was 720,000 cigars. Since then — I think we are around 250,000” per year.

Drew comes along in ' 98 and starts eating into his bottom line...

Obviously . a sore loser in this industry.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I appreciate Dion and Steve voicing their opinion on this. Obviously, as it has been said, PG is just a bitter old man who is mad that these companies come in and make better cigars than he does. My guess is that if demand wanted 2 million cigars, then he would produce them. I think by only producing 250,000 a year, the market has told him how little they want of his product. Keep up the good work Looneys!!!! Looney 4 Life!!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Welp, never paid for any of his sticks due to the crazy prices (IMO). Now I have no interest in ever buying his stuff.