What's new

Paul Garmirian Interview

scotchNstogie

Crossbones 2011
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What timing for this thread. I just went into his shop last week, and purchased my first PG cigar. I was friendly and interested, if not excited, to try some of his cigars. I asked for a recommendation for where to start in his line. As I was the only customer in the shop, it seemed like he and the other employee might take a minute to chat with me, being a young interested patron to his business.

He asked me what kind of cigars I liked, and literally laughed at all of the sticks I mentioned. Despite all this, I still tried one of his reserve cigars, that had “aged tobacco, as we specialize in the process of aging tobaccos”. I was underwhelmed to say the least, I was trying to finish the cigar in the shop out of courtesy, but after wandering around and receiving no interest from him or his employee for about 30 minutes, I finally decided to leave.

It goes without saying, but I will never return and never smoke another of his cigars again. The best description I can give for the cigar was a taste of dry stale air. Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but reviews are not my forte.

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
+1 on the timing!! I was considering trying to find a couple of these to try and possible pick up a box from a few of the positive reviews i've read, but after this never mind! Not saying I still wouldn't try one of the smokes but will not be going out of my way to get them...dingus...

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I haven't has a PG since I had a 96 lancero a few years ago. It was a fantastic smoke. Needless to say I will pass on his product if I come across it again from this interview.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Had one of his cigars at a lounge that I dont normally frequent that had great prices for the PG line, needless to say I was left with a very sharp and acidic stick that I had to put out halfway through. If that is what he thinks is the "end-all-be-all" of cigars he can have every last one.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Brothers.

When this interview broke, I was just returning from Germany. Dion texted me, as well as Skip and a few friends. Spoke to Saka afterwards and then Pete from London - everybody had the same basic feeling ... WTF ...?

His article hurt. His apology was devoid of any real feelings, other than that he brought so much negative attention upon himself. That, for me was the worst part. I called him and we had a sad conversation. I asked him, Paul, "do you know how badly you hurt Dion and Saka and I ?"

How could this man, our friend, and industry icon from yesteryear sucker punch all six of us, our companies, our customers, our families, our beliefs, our efforts and dreams? Why would he? Doesn't make sense to me.

Now I'm going to get back to concentrating on my Chinese foot massage here in Chinatown, NYC and maybe post some photos of the last two weeks of my idiotic shananagans.

Best
JD

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I bought a couple of his $15 robustos when I placed a box order from Jack Schwartz a few months ago. The cigars were both pretty good (quite mild, but had some interesting flavors). They were $7 smokes, however. No more PG for me.

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well I am glad he apologized. Then again not sure he had much choice.
I'd hardly call what he said, an apology. IMHO, they guy is a complete jerk off, and if I never buy a cigar of his, it will still be too soon. Sounds like he's still a bitter, angry little man who knows he makes an inferior product to the so called "loonies"
Scott

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This guy is taking a lot of heat and deservedly so. His comments along with his attitude ( and ridiculous pricing ) tells me not to even bother reading reviews much less smoking these POS. I can buy CC's for less and know that what I am smoking is very good. I don't like ridiculing cigar BOTL but this guy seems to want to define himself as a person who doesn't care much for any other cigar except his. I've got news for him...there are quite a few cigars in the $4 range that beat his.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Maybe he is just getting old and crazy. If that was out of character for him maybe people should give him the benefit of doubt. Sometimes if your having problems it can turn you into a sour person. Let's hope he realized what he did and just learns from it. Its really kind of sad.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
JD, Saka, Pete, Dion, Jon, et al:

Try your best to let this go. I have no doubt this one HURT. Betrayal by a friend is far worse than an attack from an enemy. His statements were horrible and ridiculous, and his apology was almost worse. i'm really sorry that a hero of yours stabbed in the back ... in public no less. It's really sad that someone can become so bitter as to alienate their friends and cohorts, but it happens. But try your best to let it go.

This situation is not worth your time in thinking about. Don't let it dig in or it could make YOU bitter as well, and nobody wants that! Shake the dust off your feet, and move on ... to making more great cigars! This guy can't steal any of the joy you have in doing what you love and are gifted to do.

We are with you!

Stay Looney,
Nate

Last edited:

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
He asked me what kind of cigars I liked, and literally laughed at all of the sticks I mentioned. Despite all this, I still tried one of his reserve cigars, that had “aged tobacco, as we specialize in the process of aging tobaccos”. I was underwhelmed to say the least, I was trying to finish the cigar in the shop out of courtesy, but after wandering around and receiving no interest from him or his employee for about 30 minutes, I finally decided to leave.
Seems like he "specializes in aging tobaccos" because he can't sell his product. Seriously, if his cigars are so incredible, how does he still have inventory rolled in the 90s that he has been openly selling at retail since then? That's all the signal I need that I don't have to bother with his cigars. They're overpriced and no one wants them.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Seems like he "specializes in aging tobaccos" because he can't sell his product. Seriously, if his cigars are so incredible, how does he still have inventory rolled in the 90s that he has been openly selling at retail since then? That's all the signal I need that I don't have to bother with his cigars. They're overpriced and no one wants them.
While I have no dog in this hunt, I need to point out that he has specifically kept those aged cigars to sell at a later date, they have NOT been sitting around on shop shelves not being sold...