What's new

PC Building

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely did my math wrong earlier. Anyway, $520 is a good price and I wouldn't recommend Vista for a while yet. If you do want to go Vista, then grab another GB of RAM...

And use the extra $180 for some smokes.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Thanks Matt

Well, I can get an install of XP from a friend. I have a keyboard, speakers, mouse, and the peripherals so it's really just the PC including PSU.
Thye make it pretty difficult these days to update a version of XP that has already been installed.

Unless your doing some serious gaming or graphics I would look to a laptop. I dont' even touch my PC anymore, feel like i have to be glued to the seat infront of it. A laptop gives you a ton of freedom. Just MO.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thye make it pretty difficult these days to update a version of XP that has already been installed.
Nah it's easy, just not entirely legal. Seriously though, Tom, unless your friend is no longer going to use that copy of XP you should get a copy for yourself to be safe.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I thought about a laptop but I think I can get more bang for my buck with a PC and I don't mind it being only in one place.

I guess I'll budget for an entirely new copy of XP. I thought I could get away with an install off a friends copy.

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That's why I snagged a copy of XP Pro with a Corporate CD Key. No Activation needed.

In the future I'm planning on just getting something off NewEgg. It is just not worth the cost required to build it yourself.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like building them myself, rather than buying from an OEM manufacturer.

I usually have specific hardware in mind, and typically, most manufacturers are using the cheapest components they can get away with.

Most computers nowadays are incredibly overpowered for most applications like web browsing and gaming...and with that comes "over priced".

However, looking at the requirements for Vista, it might make sense to go ahead and get the the best hardware you can.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to build myself. Love it really. The cost thing though... If I were smart about it, I'd get a Dell refurb with a super warranty and then upgrade it. Helps that I have friends who sell Dell refurbs for extra income.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
My main source for buying was newegg....some great deals and I like the ability to read consumer reviews cautiously. Any other places you guys like to check out?

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
My main source for buying was newegg....some great deals and I like the ability to read consumer reviews cautiously. Any other places you guys like to check out?

I tend to know what I am after so I just look through all of the sites that i have bookmarked and find who is having a sale that week!

Sorry I have been on call every day since Friday and got hit BIG time with little time to sleep for days, last night I did get in a few hours and today I am off call for 24hr. so I have alot to catch up on and your project will be one of them!

Look for me to post later tonight with my results.

eyetek

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well this is what I put together tonight and it can be tweaked a bit depending...

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail 135.00

h**p://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136157

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 2.0GHz Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model OSA170CDBOX - Retail - $188.00

h**p://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103586

BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail - $113.00

h**p://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143049

CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail - 2x $79.99 = $160.00

h**p://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145488

SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology - OEM - $31.99

h**p://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151136

Thermaltake W0093RU TR2 Series 500W Power Supply w/Active PFC (Mfr# W0093RU) » only $59.99 + Free Shipping

h**p://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153028

The above has a total of around $700 and I included 2GB of RAM...I run nothing less, you might get buy with 1GB but you will notice the difference if you go with 2GB.

This would do the trick and it has some quality parts, I did not include a differrent heat sink for the processor but the one I posted is retail and it comes with a heat sink that is not all bad.

If you want me to look for something different just let me know, glad to help you out!

eyetek

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been getting the itch to build a new machine. I built my current box about five (5!!!) years ago. It's doin' the job still but I really want better Photoshop performance...especially with CS3 to be released soon.

I guess I'll start my research soon but does anyone have recommendations for an Athlon dual core MB? I'll also need a video card for superior 2D performance.

I'm running XP Home at the moment and I'd like the option of upgrading to Vista once the Post-Retail-Release-Beta-Testing period is complete.
My inclination is to start with 4GB of RAM, minimum. I'm also thinkin' I'll migrate my current 200GB HD to the new box, to be joined by a couple of 500GB data drives (or three or four), for starters.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I've been getting the itch to build a new machine. I built my current box about five (5!!!) years ago. It's doin' the job still but I really want better Photoshop performance...especially with CS3 to be released soon.

I guess I'll start my research soon but does anyone have recommendations for an Athlon dual core MB? I'll also need a video card for superior 2D performance.

I'm running XP Home at the moment and I'd like the option of upgrading to Vista once the Post-Retail-Release-Beta-Testing period is complete.
My inclination is to start with 4GB of RAM, minimum. I'm also thinkin' I'll migrate my current 200GB HD to the new box, to be joined by a couple of 500GB data drives (or three or four), for starters.

I would have to check into the requirments for CS3 but if you are thinking about running Vista and CS3 you would want to start saving up your money and go for one of the quad core processors that are out or comming out....oh and yes 4GB of ram would not hurt your system out...those two combined would ROCK!

eyetek

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Checking system requirements may not be much help unless you're generally familiar with Photoshop performance. My current setup (Athlon PC2100) runs CS2 just fine in general terms of performance. However, things can slow down a bit when applying filters to large images. If your workflow involves dozens or hundreds of images, it doesn't take a very big performance hit to really slow you down in the long run.

I'd like something that fairly sings...but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay for bleeding edge. But...I bought in the sweet spot last time and should probably pop for a little more this go-round.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well this is what I put together tonight and it can be tweaked a bit depending...

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail 135.00

h**p://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136157

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5000+ Socket AM2 Retail - $192.00

h**p://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80961-9&prodlist=pricegrabber
The processor and motherboard are not compatible. Socket AM2 is a 940 pin socket IIRC and not compatible with Socket 939.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The processor and motherboard are not compatible. Socket AM2 is a 940 pin socket IIRC and not compatible with Socket 939.
Nice catch...I switched the Motherboard at the last min. when I found the DFI, which I like because of it's workability. So this processor will work with the DFI.

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 2.0GHz Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model OSA170CDBOX - Retail - $188.00

h**p://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103586

I will edit the post above to reflect the change in processors.

eyetek

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Right now, Intel holds the performance crown. I'd wait until AMD's Barcelona hits the market if I were you. As far as 2D performance on a video card... I'm told by my photographer friends that ATI/AMD makes the best for 2D other than Matrox.