What's new

PDR Selecion Robusto...Danthebugman noob review

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Big thanks to danthebugman for the 5 pack sampler. Part of the deal was for me to post up some reviews so here is the first one.

Pino Del Rio Selecion Robusto
Size: 4.75×50
Wrapper: Lancaster USA
Binder: Habano/Dominican
Filler: Nicuraguan/Domican
Retail: $6.5 but can be had for around 3$/cigar on the auction sites.

Beverage: Bacardi 8 w/ splash of Coke
Cut: V-Cut

Appearance: 6/10 - A few veins with 2 significant soft spots towards the middle.
Cold Draw: 9/10 - Slightly snug but otherwise perfect. Cedar and Sweet Tobacco

First: 1/3rd
Mainly sweet Tobacco with a hint of pepper and some earthiness. Not a whole-lot of flavor going on at this point but the cigar has been enjoyable.

2nd 1/3rd:
The pepper has kicked up another notch. Still getting some earthiness and a slight hint of chocolate after taste. Burn is going great with a dark grey ash. Ash held a good 1 1/2 inches before if fell on its own.

Last 3rd:
The chocolate has picked up slightly and I am noticing some leather and cedar in the background. Overall the flavors have picked up but the spice/pepper has diminished. Burn still going great however I picked up some harshness towards the end.

Final Conclusion:

IMO this has been an enjoyable cigar. Its nice to see a lower priced cigar that had a razor sharp burn...absolutely no touchup's needed throughout the cigar despite the softspots. Not very complex but there was some chocolate going on towards the 2nd and last 3rd. Would I buy a box? Probably not but for the price this would be a great cigar for the golf course or a 5 pack. Total smoking time was around 1hr 15min. I'm not big on "ratings" but if I had to I would give this a solid 6/10.

Thanks again Dan!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i have had one pdr i didn't like, everything else abe makes usually rocks, especially at the price point. still kicking myself that i was just lurking, not a member, when he threw out the BOTL '10.