What's new

People watching in NYC

Mr.OneNineDoubleDeuce

The Machine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a rough couple of weeks (death in the family, work, break up with the girl..etc.) I decided to take Saturday night and go out by myself and just relax a bit. I hadn't had a cigar in a while, so I wanted to kick back, relax and just chill with a nice cigar.

Where to go? Circa Tabac? Club Mac? Sit, Sip and Smoke? Nah..I went to old reliable, Merchants NYC (62nd street and 1st avenue).

So I hop on the subway, get off at 59th street and Lex and walk over. It was a cool, slightly windy night out in the city, but it was nice. There were a lot of people out and about hitting the restaurants, clubs, lounges, etc. Heck, I walked by Scores and there were a few people outside looking to get in!

So I reach my destination and proceed down to the smoking lounge. The place is packed, but I managed to find a seat near the bar with a table to myself. "Bombay Blue and Tonic please" is what I told my waitress. She was a cute blonde white girl, about 5'5" with a nice little body on her. She had that white girl birth defect...a booty!..

I get my drink, and then pull out my trusty stash. I had brought along a PSD3 EL, a Mag46, Bolivar Tubo#2, RyJ Perfecto, and the piece de resistance...a La China Custom Rolled Salomone! So after I lit up the perfecto..lol..JUST KIDDING!.

I took that bad boy salomone, and lit it. Draw was a little tight at first (to be expected because of the tip) but it opened up nicely. Leaned back in my seat and just looked around the room and began to study.

Immediately catching my eye, the corporate guy in his suit with his young, gay,enrique iglesias look a like lover hiding in the corner so no one sees his face. They were sitting back having some wine and smoking cigarettes.

The frat boys with their abercrombie and fitch sweatshirts and their tall, blonde ass-less dates. "Dude we are so going to score!" I SHIT YOU NOT, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HEARD THEM SAY!..ROTFLMFAO!..You can't make this shit up...lol

The guy with his date, sitting quietly and conversing over drinks. Looks like he's really into this girl. She get's up, goes to the restroom, and he immediately looks at his watch and frowns like "damn..can we leave already?". She comes back, the smile and interested look is back on his face. We are such dogs..lol

The south american women sitting next to me waiting for their dates to arrive. Smoking cigarettes, drinking mojitos, I could overhear their conversation and they were PISSED because their dates were late. The guys eventually got there and were the type that like to be heard and talked the entire time with the women basically looking at each other and thinking "NEXT"..lol

The two old time friends sitting at the bar smoking cigars. Couple of beers, couple of laughs, couple of smokes...you could tell this was their routine. Just hanging out on a saturday night with a lifelong friend.

The regular. Automatic seat at the bar, his drink was ready, and a cigar next to the drink. Knew all the waitresses, the staff, etc.

As I'm working on the salamone (an incredible experience on it's own) and having my drinks, it's incredible the emotions the human face projects.

The two women walking in, looking for seats, even though the place is full. A frown, a slight nod of the head..and the slow walk back upstairs. Disappointment.

The guy on his first date with his girl. She hates smoke, as evident by the waving of her hand in front of her. He lights up..."I'll wait for you upstairs.." The guy never had a chance...lol

The two females walking in. Get a spot at the bar, light up, and look at each other the whole time while drinking and talking. Friends, lovers? Whatever they were, they were really interested in what the other was saying.

After about 2.5 hours, the salamone experience was finally over. I was into my third drink and a jazz band was about to start playing. Damn..soooo..I pulled out a RyJ perfecto (02) and lit up and listened for about a half hour of their set.

Paid my bill, walked to the train station and headed back home.

The city and her people never ceases to amaze me. It's always something different.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Wonderful story bro. I'm sorry to hear about your recent losses. The white girl birth defect is hilarious along with observing humor behavior at times.

People watching is a great way to kick back, relieve stress and take in a small corner of universe. Sounds like you're bouncing back and I'm sure you'll find happiness in your life you seek in no time.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Just started going to Merchant's a couple of week's ago. I rarely make it uptown anymore these days.

Perfect read on a typical UES crowd. Lived there for about 12 years.

Whereas Club Mac is a bit of the Old Boys Network, Merchant's a typical UES bar/lounge that has smoking...somewhat like the Lex Bar&Books. However, Hudson is a bit different ... as is life, in general, in the West Village.