What's new

perhaps delta will not be your next choice for an air carrier.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
while in the Air Force, I once was charged for excess baggage when returning from Turkey. Since it was on my orders I was reimbursed by as a travel expense.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I'm sorry I don't feel one bite sorry for these airlines, as much flying as I have been doing and seen in the last 5 years it is outrageous, the cost per seat is up, service is down, baggage fees, Christ just to sit on the outside row will cost u $7- $10 more, sitting in a exits row is $ 10 to $ 15 bucks more. The airlines to me is just like Big oil, they will keep charging higher prices and we the people will keep paying, cuz we r stuck…….. I task U all , look at the next time u Fly, just see all the service u don't get, and the costs on that flight, U can't tell me it is all related to fuel, it is called GREED........

One other issues these gov. contract carriers r a joke. This is one area that the gov gets charge double, we do not get cheaper flights when we use contract carrier or any airlines. Ie I can make a reservation for a flight from Atlanta to Sacramento , as on the internet maybe spend $500 to $600, If I make that same flight for Gov employee (same flight same conditions) the cost to the Gov, it will be $800.00 to $1000.00, and this is not in 1st class, We in the Gov are mandated to support the airlines, Gov Contracts are set by the Military, all government agency have to use that contract, so we r stuck, but as a Tax Payer OMFG r we getting screwed....

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm sorry I don't feel one bite sorry for these airlines, as much flying as I have been doing and seen in the last 5 years it is outrageous, the cost per seat is up, service is down, baggage fees, Christ just to sit on the outside row will cost u $7- $10 more, sitting in a exits row is $ 10 to $ 15 bucks more. The airlines to me is just like Big oil, they will keep charging higher prices and we the people will keep paying, cuz we r stuck…….. I task U all , look at the next time u Fly, just see all the service u don't get, and the costs on that flight, U can't tell me it is all related to fuel, it is called GREED........

Come on, Brad...no one's asking you to cry for the airlines, but how on EARTH is it GREED when they are losing money?

I swear, sometimes it feels like everyone thinks companies should all operate at a loss just so we aren't inconvenienced.

Is it all Fuel? No, of course not. There are a ton of other expenses. But is it mostly Fuel? Let's see. In 2009 (the numbers I have easy access to because we've already been discussing them), Fuel and related taxes was the biggest expense at $7.4 BILLION. That's 26% of their overall operating expenses. Salaries and related expenses were the next closest at $6.8 BILLION, just shy of 24%. So I guess it's the evil Corporate Executives, right? Hmmm...$19M in combined compensation for the head executives in 2009...that's 2.8% of compensation expenses for the entire company. It's .67% of the overall expenses.

Where's the GREED?

Oh, and for the record, Delta (our whipping boy for ease of comparison) consumed 30 MILLION gallons of fuel LESS than 2009 in 2010 and paid $610 MILLION MORE in 2010 for fuel than in 2009.

In 2010 Delta showed what I will call an Operating Profit (Operating Revenue-Operating expenses) of $2.217 Billion. Net Income after interest and misc. expenses was $608Million.

Well, that must be greedy right? $608 Million in profits? 7% Gross Profit, 1.9% Net Profit. Greedy, Greedy, Greedy.

But wait. That's just one year. Didn't they lose money in 2009? Yep, almost $1.6BILLION. So now they've only lost $990Million over two years. Oh, and how did they do in 2008? I'm sure it doesn't matter, but just for the heck of it, I'll mention it. A loss of $8.3BILLION.

Greedy bastards.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I find the whole story interesting in that Delta has turned around and made good on what happened but it's not only Delta with this policy. Every airline is finding ways to add surcharges to the public to gain revenue and the only reason they changed this policy is because of the "black eye" to their image.

Rewind to how everybody is now on the bandwagon for the Troops these days...which they should be but what happened to all of these same people who treated our troops like dogshit when they came back from Viet Nam...and these poor guys who are still homeless and trying to get their benefits from the Agent Orange and other chemicals that they were exposed to? Where's the big outrage with these men who still walk among us and are not being treated for their wounds they received...mentally,,physically,,emotionally? It's popular today to support the current troops but I know that Viet Nam wasn't a popular war...so these poor men live in a divided support system and it's a shame...a damn shame.

themoneycollector

Ermagherd Sergarse
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I task U all , look at the next time u Fly, just see all the service u don't get, and the costs on that flight, U can't tell me it is all related to fuel, it is called GREED........
It's not just fuel costs, it's also labor costs and unions that are causing many of the airlines problems.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I run a small business on the side, and if I only made 7% profit I'd close my doors as you can't survive. I'm currently at 28% profit and thats borderline not enough, but it makes it worth my while. I must be greedy, or understand what it costs to run a business and maintain it.

Since Delta is our whipping boy I'll chime in because I have close to 800,000 miles on Delta as of today, and will add easily another 50k this year. Obviously I'm part of their frequent flyer program. If you fly a lot and aren't a member of a FF program, shame on you. Also have a Delta CC. With these perk programs I get 2 free checked bags. I don't pay for exit row seats or extended comfort economy seats.

I don't see the greed here at all. They put ways in for you to avoid costs, it's up to you to capitalize on them. I say kudos to them for seeing the problem w/ what happened and revised their program to allow the extra baggage. They also increased the size limits and weight limits understanding that military folks might be carrying larger gear.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
and we all know there aren't hidden costs in medical claims to raise the agreeable claim to the insurance co's... :popeyes: :wink:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dont see the big deal. As an active duty soldier who has traveled to and from the mid east a few times it happens. You just file for it on your travel voucher and get re-embursed.