What's new

*Pics* Monte 'D' Edition Limitada 2005 Stolen by a Weasel

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Ok, I’m done procrastinating…

I stole a Monte ‘D’ Edition Limitada 2005 (6 1/8 x 43) from someone in the Thieving Weasel game the Cliff hosted.

I had heard there were some coloration differences between boxes of these. Some being obviously darker than others, and that the darker were the better of the two. So I was pleased to see a dark wrapper on this when I opened the box. I mean really darker than any Cuban I have had. Not a maduro, but a chocolaty brown cigar with a rustic look to it. Nicely triple capped.

I took it from the humi one Sunday afternoon, and gave it a nice clip with the trusty Palio, and went for my first pre-light draw. To my chagrin it was as if I was drawing thru a pencil. So I placed in an empty Oliva V box that had been out of the humi for a few months. Later that week I think Wednesday night it tried again and it was still too tight, but was showing signs of improvement. By the next Sunday, it had opened enough to give it a go, but I was still concerned my jaw would be sore when it was over.

Being a guy who always looks for silver linings, I approached this with an open mind, ready for anything.

I gave it a nice toast with the Ronson, and got the foot glowing nicely before I ever gave it a draw. At first, I got flavors of cedary tobacco (imagine that, tobacco stored in a cedar box taste like cedary tobacco). Anyhow, nothing wrong with it, but the draw. As I got in to the first third I was noticing a razor sharp burn line, a marvel really, I mean this was the straightest burn I have seen in a while. The cigar was producing ample smoke and the draw might have opened up a tiny bit more as this was warming up.

The flavors, once I got in to this cigar, were a smooth numeg, and coffee, some cedar still there. Toward the middle of this smoke not much has changed. Still with a razor burn and a draw that was now more deliberate, rather than tight. I am happy to say at this point I am enjoying this cigar immensely. I could not be happier with the fact that the draw has opened enough to not be an issue, and that despite the initial draw it has never ceased to produce smoke. The flavors are coating my pallet, and are moving toward less cedar and now very strong nutmeg, mocha combo. Really this is a great cigar. At this point it is a medium strength smoke with a feel of the nicotine, but not over powering.

So as I near the end of this cigar there is a little burn issue, a small runner shot down about a half inch, but at this point it’s not even worth trying to fix. Besides it quickly corrected itself. The flavors have not changed but have become more creamy, and coat the pallet perfectly. I am now getting a little light headed from the nicotine, but am in heaven with this cigar. I have never had these flavors meld so perfectly together. I am going to venture to say that this cigar is the best cigar I have smoked so far this year. Certainly on par with the Cohiba EL, though different flavor profile, and I would choose it over a PAM 64, Frank, or Boris.

I would like thank Cliff for the opportunity to smoke and review this cigar. While I originally thought I wanted a different cigar in the Game, I am truly glad I ended up with this one. I can’t imagine I could have been happier with a different smoke. Whether it was my mood, what I had eaten, what I was drinking (water), the stars aligning, or what, this was a great smoking experience.

Edit

as I look at the pictures, i guess the burn had some waves in it here and there. I guess that shows how inamored with this cigar I ended up being. Also i forgot to mention the ash, but the pics = 1000 words

Last edited:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Glad you enjoyed it David. Sometimes it's those cigars we're not sure about that wind up being in the top 5 for the year :thumbsup:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Great review bro! I am liking this weisel concept. It seems it is really enlightening the reviews. These have all been great reading!
That was the whole point to get the habanos review section a boost :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Nice review Dave.

So you passed on the PL RE '06 from a fear of draw issues. Looks like you were right to fear it, just not the right stick, glad it worked out OK for you.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Nice review Dave.

So you passed on the PL RE '06 from a fear of draw issues. Looks like you were right to fear it, just not the right stick, glad it worked out OK for you.
yep, that is what i get for reading reviews during the game, and trying to stratigize how to get a particular cigar. It did all work out, and the reviews have been a good read.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Very nice review and pic's Dave, thanks my friend! :thumbsup:

Are you a professional "hand" model? :dunno:

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
the D is a great cigar. I remember getting a few boxes when they were like $100 - smoked the hell out of them too.

Now can't touch a box under 200.