What's new

Pinar del Rio

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I don't know much about these cigars. I think the only one I've had was the BOTL cigar which I believe was made by them?

I noticed CI has a killer sale on some older boxes of Pinar del Rio Habano and Oscuro. $40.00 for 25x for Corona size (5.2"x44).

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-PR3&cat=3

Opinions on these? Anyone interested in doing an 5 way box split on a Habano and Oscuro? (would be like $20.00 each including shipping for 5 habano and 5 oscuro).

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The PDR Oscuro's are really good, especially at that price. I have not had the new blends to compare to, but I've read that several people actually preferred the older blends to the newer stuff. The SG is not bad IMO, lots of leathery and peppery notes. My favorite is the Oscuro, followed by the Seleccion Limitado.

Regards,

Randy

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Received my box of Oscuro Coronas yesterday, if this cold goes away anytime this year I'll be firing one up! IMO the Coronas and Lanceros are the best.

Last edited:

Bowhnter

Backyard Smoker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone else have an issue keeping these lit? I got a box 2 weeks ago, it took over 7 days to get here due to weather.
I have had 3, and every one I have to relight 5-6 times.
I dry boxed this last one for a day as well.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Anyone else have an issue keeping these lit? I got a box 2 weeks ago, it took over 7 days to get here due to weather.
I have had 3, and every one I have to relight 5-6 times.
I dry boxed this last one for a day as well.
The Oscuro line of PDR before the reblend is a cigar you need to stay on top of. It's a fine smoke, but if left unattended will go out. People had complained about the cigar & the wrapper issue with it. I'm a fairly agerssive smoker so it was never an issue with me. I blow threw a corona in 30min.

Bowhnter

Backyard Smoker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Oscuro line of PDR before the reblend is a cigar you need to stay on top of. It's a fine smoke, but if left unattended will go out. People had complained about the cigar & the wrapper issue with it. I'm a fairly agerssive smoker so it was never an issue with me. I blow threw a corona in 30min.
Thanks, I am a pretty slow smoker, the corona can take me an hour+.
It is good though!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Last night, I tried first from box split that OP honcho'd (Oscuro corona.) Def gonna need to dry-box the next one. (It only sat in 65% cooler for about 6 days, though.)

It was a real battle. The first inch or so tasted great. However, after that it was much more work than it was worth. If I smoked it hot and fast enough to keep it lit, it got bitter quick. Tons of potential, but going to have to let them settle for a while longer and then dry-box before I try the next one.

dowjr1

Dan O
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have started to get more interested in PDR...Just tried the 1878 Capa Madura (which was great) and trying the new Oscuro Toro tonight! I also just ordered a few of their Seleccion Reserve Limitado with the Broadleaf wrapper to fire up. Yum so far though...

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Damn what a steal! Only wish I had seen this in time to pick up the Oscuro robustos which are my fave. Oh well...toros it is.

Thanks for the sharing the deal. :applause:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Last night, I tried first from box split that OP honcho'd (Oscuro corona.) Def gonna need to dry-box the next one. (It only sat in 65% cooler for about 6 days, though.)

It was a real battle. The first inch or so tasted great. However, after that it was much more work than it was worth. If I smoked it hot and fast enough to keep it lit, it got bitter quick. Tons of potential, but going to have to let them settle for a while longer and then dry-box before I try the next one.
That's the exact issue I had with the oscuros. I'm not anal about relights, but 6-8 in one sticks ruins it for me (had that sane problem with the ISOM R&J Short Churchill today). Sad because they tasted great. Supposedly the new blends burn fine, but honestly I haven't bought any because of those previous issues.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That's the exact issue I had with the oscuros. I'm not anal about relights, but 6-8 in one sticks ruins it for me (had that sane problem with the ISOM R&J Short Churchill today). Sad because they tasted great. Supposedly the new blends burn fine, but honestly I haven't bought any because of those previous issues.
That problem has been solved with the reblend.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
The bigger the RG the more problem you have. I have a separate humi that I keep at around 58 and that helps the problem new blend or old. Also storing them without the cello helps!

Rating - 100%
19   0   0

Was time for a re-visit this morning on way to work. I left one of those oscuro coronas sitting out on the table for two days. Then put it back in the humi overnight. Lit it up this morning and it was tremendous. Rich, complex, unique. And...it burned perfectly! Was late walking into work since I sat in the parking lot nubbing it - couldn't put it down.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a box of the Maduro Lanceros. I have had a couple that drew a little hard but for the most part they have all burned great. Nice complex earthy flavors with just a hint of the maduro sweetness sneaking end from time to time.