What's new

Pipe and Cigar Smoker from NC

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I'm Matt from the Triangle area of North Carolina. Been smoking pipes and cigars occasionally for about 4 years now, but I am still a noob. My first cigar was a Swisher which I took one puff of and promptly pitched, deciding then that cigars weren't for me. Few years later my friend told me to try a mild Macanudo cigar, I was hesitant but we went down to the nearby cigarette shop and bought a couple. We didn't have a cutter so we used kitchen shears. I know, I know but HEY here I am now with a cutter, humidor, and about 30 sticks on the way :D I've had a handful of premium cigars since then.

Finally decided to get my humidor working right and ordered up a bunch of cigars to try out. I love the taste of the full bodied sticks, but since I smoke so rarely (looking to change that) the nicotine usually messes with my stomach. I have solved most of the problem by following the advice on this forum to SLOW DOWN. I was puffing like crazy before. After reading some advice on this forum I had an excellent smoke with little stomach ache and no tongue bite. Now to jump in a bit more.

Oh and I'm a big pipe fan as well. Oddly enough I like the taste of pipe tobacco more, but I like the experience of smoking a cigar much better. The feel of the wrapper, the smell of the unlit cigar, the cutting, toasting, getting the cherry right, drawing the smoke, smelling the note, feeling the warmth, ah I just love it. Really appeals to me.

Anywho, I probably won't have much to post, but I sure will be lurking a lot!

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Welcome. Lurking is fine to learn. But jumping in is alot more fun. Like goung to the circus and staying outside the tent.......wait thats a euphemism for something else. Anywho welcome.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Where about in the Triangle area? I just moved to Raleigh a few weeks ago. I'm the exact opposite. I'm a cigar smoker who is just getting into pipes. I just brought a Corn Cob Pipe last week, and just been trying to work on getting a good pack in my bowl...I lot of trial and error. Unfortunatly, more error than trial lol

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Where about in the Triangle area? I just moved to Raleigh a few weeks ago. I'm the exact opposite. I'm a cigar smoker who is just getting into pipes. I just brought a Corn Cob Pipe last week, and just been trying to work on getting a good pack in my bowl...I lot of trial and error. Unfortunatly, more error than trial lol
With pipes you have to just stop fussing so much and just smoke! Each bowl, change up how you do it a little. I tried the whole scientific method approach to it and just got frustrated. I'm still no expert, but I have much more fun smoking. I don't know if you have done much looking at local stores but we are pretty set around here for cigars. We have JR just up 40 in Burlington. Their humidor is bigger than an entire B&M store! Really epic and the guys working there are hanging out smoking and are very friendly, great space to be in. For quick singles I either go to Tinder Box in South Point (I live like 4 minutes from south point in Durham), but they are wickedly expensive and the selection isn't great, or I go to K&S in Cary off 55 and High House. K&S has decent prices and a very good selection. In Raleigh you have Empire. I've never been there, but want to check it out sometime.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Hey Matt!!

:welcome: from Minnesota :waving:

Thanks for the great introduction!