What's new

Pipe cleaning pictorial - for the pipe n00bs.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
This is a great thread thanks @Grrrrr609 I have put together a cleaning kit for when my noob sampler arrives and I start the descent into pipedom.

Is this a clean you do after every bowl?
From what I can gather in this post I can use bourbon whiskey to clean my pipes?
:woot:
I don't think there is much chance I'm not going to like piping.
(y)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
After every bowl smoked, the pipe should be cleaned in the method you choose to do. Just make sure you let your pipe rest at least 24 hours before smoking it again. Before you know it, you'll have a nice collection.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I'm cleaning an estate Boswell pipe and got some 151 on the rim of the bowl. Dabbed it off immediately. Will it damage the finish? I didn't see any change to the stain.
If you got it off with no damage then it's fine. The stains used on pipes is leather dye. It's and alcohol based dye so alcohol will damage the finish. But wiped off immediately usually doesn't damage the finish.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If you got it off with no damage then it's fine. The stains used on pipes is leather dye. It's and alcohol based dye so alcohol will damage the finish. But wiped off immediately usually doesn't damage the finish.
So would it be fair to say Dave, if the damage isn't done immediately it won't happen?

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So would it be fair to say Dave, if the damage isn't done immediately it won't happen?
Yes. Although if it happens over and over it may eventually lighten the color in that area.

But u can "restain" also. If the finish gets damaged it can be fixed to an acceptable level. Fiebigs leather dye. Brown, tan, black and Oxblood would be the main colors to have on hand.

I've had pipes so bad that I've had to buff excessively to get clean but buffing also lightens the stain. I've just restained the light areas, buffed and waxed and they have turned out pretty good.