What's new

Pipe Gifts-Restore or Just Clean Them?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks: My first post. I've been away from pipe smoking for several years, replacing them with cigars. I never really learned how to keep a pipe lit or smoke cool, etc although I loved the flavors and aroma. I've decided to take it up again to see if I can master the art this time.

A friend, hearing about this, gave me some pipes his father had owned. They obviously have been cellar dwellers for at least 15 years, but several seem worth reviving. There is a Dunhill 4 EK F/T A "Dunhill Bruyere' with one white dot on the stem=scorched around the rim but otherwise quite beautiful. There are also three from the "American Pipe Co.", which look more than a cut above the average. They are marked 9/98, 93 and 9/83-all with "MT" stamped after the dates. They are all unpolished. (American Pipe must have set up after I stopped smokikng pipes in the late 1980s). There is also a GBD WERA(?) and a Barck. Finaly, there are al,so one plain billiard meerschaum that my friend think is a Peterson, although I don't remember Peterson being in the meerschaum business.

I'm not interested in selling them, but if some of these are "high-end" and (therefore) likely to be good smokers. what do I do? Simply clean them out with Everclear or vodka, let them dry and smoke away? Or send some or all of them to a pipe restorer/repairer? (They look like they haven't been smoked or cleaned since the Grant administration. Much mold, dust, dirt and carbon).

I've used the search function to read about cleaning estate pipes, but these look pretty toxic, although not damaged (except for the tenon on the meerschaum). If you advise restoring/repairing, recommendations on dependable people to do it would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for your advice-
Joshua S.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I am no authority on pipe smoking as I just picked it up recently myself, but if the condition is as you stated I would probably send them off for proper cleaning/restoring. If it was a pipe well maintained and gifted to you then maybe clean yourself. Good luck with them, sound like an awesome gift. I've recently started keeping my eyes open at antique shops and such for old pipes. I'd like to start a collection. Post some pics if you can!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It depends, if you have a reamer, and follow proper procedures for cleaning I think it is fine to clean it up and disinfect. Make sure you look up the best way to clean them, it is not as simple as just pouring in everclear, but not difficult either. Be sure to ream them out properly.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The American Pipe Co. are Mark Tinskey pipes, probably made when he still had his shop here in Pennsylvania. He is an excellent pipemaker and his pipes are very collectable. I would consider restoring these along with the Dunhills. As fas as someone to do the work I would recommend contacting JM Boswells Pipe and Tobacco in Chambersburg, PA. They are great people to deal with.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
If they are worth saving then send them to someone that can clean them professionlly. Here's a couple of links for ya.

http://www.boswellpipes.com/

I use Paul's Pipe Shop for all my "cleaning's and Restore's" very fair and quick turn-a-round. Give him a call.

Paul's Pipe Shop and Pipe Hospital
647 S Saginaw St
Flint, MI 48502

810) 235-0581

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, this is just me but I'm going to disagree with the majority on this one. If they're not broken or chipped (which it sounds like they're fine other than the meer), I'd do it myself. As far as cleaning, you can do just about everything a good repair shop can do. Do a salt treatment on them (may take 2 or 3 of them if they've been sitting that long), but I'd say this is the perfect opportunity to learn how to do it yourself and you can start buying more estates.

That being said, I'd start with some of the one's you don't care about as much so you can learn from your mistakes .... but it's not like you're going to screw anything up too bad (just don't get alcohol on the finish).

But hey, this is just my opinion ...

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your help. I've decided to take your collective advice! I've sent the Dunhill, the meerschaum and the Tinsky with a broken stem off to Dave Woolf for repair/cleaning. I'm attempting to clean up the others myself, using the instructions posted at various places on this site. Wish me luck!

JS