What's new

Pipe mouth

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Fellow Pipesmokers,

So the other day I had a bowl of Clan Aromatic (breaking in a pipe, don't want to waste the good stuff). It burned unexpectedly well. Didn't taste like much, but at the same time the pipe kept lit, didn't get sloppy soggy wet, didn't get overly bitter, and there was no (or not much, at least) tongue-bite.

However.

Afterwards, up to to the next morning, my mouth felt quite irritated. The feeling was much like when I ate a tablet of ascorbic acid when I was a kid.

Granted, the tobacco was nothing fancy, but still. I think I got a similar effect (though not as pronounced) from a premium-class virginia mixture.

It's not something I've experienced from cigars.

So, my question here is: what's up with that? Was the pipe smoking wrong? Is it simply the matter of choice of tobacco?

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Something in there may not agree with your body chemistry or it burned hot. Either way you got tongue bite. Use Biotene mouthwash and lay off the smoke for a couple days.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm sitting here wondering why you would use an aro to cake up a pipe. Is it getting dedicated to aros?

May have been the sugars or something they used in the casing or topping as well. I'm not familiar with the brand or baccy you mentioned specifically.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well in most cases when people talk about Tongue bite it is from smoking an Aromatic to fast. When done it creates steam and that is what is said to make tongue bite.

One thing I would recommend when breaking in a NEW pipe is to use some Carter Hall or Prince Albert Pipe tobacco the first few pipes to get a start of cake built up on your pipe. For me and I tend to smoke a lot of Aromatic tobaccos I find they smoke best in a nice Bent pipe, Cob or Meerschaum to help cut down on the burn/bite. I also do something that some don't do. At the start of my day I take my tobaccos and load some pipes that I want to smoke in the day and let the pipe and Tobacco sit until i am ready to smoke. this for me helps dry out the tobacco some for the blends that are rather wet. This helps some as well. Another thing that I find helps some is on the Aromatics I don't pack them very tight. To help with burn and draw.

James

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in most cases when people talk about Tongue bite it is from smoking an Aromatic to fast. When done it creates steam and that is what is said to make tongue bite.

One thing I would recommend when breaking in a NEW pipe is to use some Carter Hall or Prince Albert Pipe tobacco the first few pipes to get a start of cake built up on your pipe. For me and I tend to smoke a lot of Aromatic tobaccos I find they smoke best in a nice Bent pipe, Cob or Meerschaum to help cut down on the burn/bite. I also do something that some don't do. At the start of my day I take my tobaccos and load some pipes that I want to smoke in the day and let the pipe and Tobacco sit until i am ready to smoke. this for me helps dry out the tobacco some for the blends that are rather wet. This helps some as well. Another thing that I find helps some is on the Aromatics I don't pack them very tight. To help with burn and draw.

James
Wellp, that wouldn't work for me, as I can't tell 20 minutes in advance if I'll have the chance to smoke a bowl or not.

Also, I don't have as many different tobaccos in storage, or available at b&ms for that matter.

But I see your point and I'll stop using aromatics for breaking in pipes.

In defense of my choice: I find that in the first couple of bowls, the pipe won't smoke too well (keeps going out, gets wet, etc..), so I figured that until the pipe starts smoking ok, I won't waste my good tobaccos in it.

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
There are a lot of factors that come into play with tongue bite. But in my experience, simply slowing down your puff rate should help quite a bit. The tobacco won't burn too hot and it's better for the pipe too.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Iergeni, Sorry if I came off like I was telling you something to make it a bad experience, My post was only what I do to maybe try and help for future pipe smoking. For me I try and offer things that I didn't have others around to help me figure out in my starting years 25 years ago. (Advice) No defense needed .

Now to add some information on this! I have lots of PIPES and I as some say OCD clean them. So almost every smoke is like breaking in a pipe. However for my Aromatics I use my Cobs or Meerschaum pipes. In the event that I smoke one of the Briars to smoke them that is all that I smoke through them. Again I keep my cake down. Everytime I smoke I clean my pipes. I was only trying to give some advice on what I had seen in the starting post. As you stated that you don't want to smoke your good tobaccos to break it in. In some cases that is what I would do just because that is what is going to be smoked through it. So the Carter Hall and Prince Albert was only to help with ideas of what you can get at Wal mart or Rite aide or CVS or other local Big Box. Prince Albert isnt to costly and good to have as a back up daily smoke if you smoke a lot....

James

Hope you find Pleasure in Smoke a Pipe and that you can find any offer of help to be useful and not that someone is tring to say something bad about your experiences.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iergeni, Sorry if I came off like I was telling you something to make it a bad experience, My post was only what I do to maybe try and help for future pipe smoking. For me I try and offer things that I didn't have others around to help me figure out in my starting years 25 years ago. (Advice) No defense needed .

Now to add some information on this! I have lots of PIPES and I as some say OCD clean them. So almost every smoke is like breaking in a pipe. However for my Aromatics I use my Cobs or Meerschaum pipes. In the event that I smoke one of the Briars to smoke them that is all that I smoke through them. Again I keep my cake down. Everytime I smoke I clean my pipes. I was only trying to give some advice on what I had seen in the starting post. As you stated that you don't want to smoke your good tobaccos to break it in. In some cases that is what I would do just because that is what is going to be smoked through it. So the Carter Hall and Prince Albert was only to help with ideas of what you can get at Wal mart or Rite aide or CVS or other local Big Box. Prince Albert isnt to costly and good to have as a back up daily smoke if you smoke a lot....

James

Hope you find Pleasure in Smoke a Pipe and that you can find any offer of help to be useful and not that someone is tring to say something bad about your experiences.
WaRevo,

I didn't think that you were trying to say anything bad about my experiences, and I do value your advice.

I should perhaps have mentioned this earlier - I live in a small town in Eastern/Central Europe where there isn't lots of pipe tobacco to choose from in B&Ms, and all of it is aromatic. Occasionally, I travel around Europe and stock up on quality stuff, but I'm sort of reluctant to waste it in a pipe that I know in advance it most likely won't smoke properly.

By the way, what are you referring to when you say you clean your pipe after smoking?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
By the way, what are you referring to when you say you clean your pipe after smoking?
Well for me not like everyone, I take after it cools most times within 30min or so after smoking. Will take the stem from the shank, Clean both with Pipe cleaner and 70 or 90% Alcohol, remove all ash from the bowl, take my 3in1 Czech tool and run it around the bowl a few times to remove any unburned tobacco or ash. Then I take a Select a Size Paper towel the small single sheet tare that in half run some in the bowl to clean out all the fine dust of ash and take some of the other half and clean out the extra Alcohol from the shank. At times I use a Qtip for the shank. Then once a week on the pipes that I smoke most over the week I will do extra cleaning if it needs it to make sure there is no buildup in the bowl or shank of the pipe so next week it is fresh and like new again. There are a few that I have Reamed down to the Briar and do a Salt treatment when needed.

I understand about the B&M's I don't have any where I live, so I am stuck with OTC from big box stores and buying from online Retailers the blends that I have come to love. Where I used to live there was a B&M on every corner almost like there were Starbucks LOL. Now with Laws even them old places are closing down, Everytime i am in my old home town I stop by a few places to pick up the house blends they were always selling. I can always buy from them through the mail but if they only have 1 or 2 I buy from them I can get more from Online retailer. Even where I get my Cigars is kind of a thumbs down in my area. IF I forget to grab mine before leaving or feel the need I will stop and get one. But choices are limited. Trying to get them to bring in what I want or like they don't and wouldn't even order a box unless it is what they already carry...

Happy Smoking Hope you find the joys of the Pipe.
James

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So today after I was smoking the last pipe, I took it apart to clean and I seen that it was in need of my deep cleaning. So I took my Czech tool and my Senior tool and reamed out the bowl that wasn't very caked even less then what most people like to smoke a pipe cake too. Reamed it out to wood and added salt and Alcohol, Now I will leave it sit to just before I go to bed or maybe even over night if I feel it needs it at that time. The rest of the pipes this week are ok with the daily after use clean. Just needed a little extra care for my IMP Meerschaum and this Dr. Grabow
I did add a little bit of extra salt and some more Alcohol to get it to the top from this picture
James

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How dark does the salt get at the end?

I do that with my pipes every now and then. Usually I do it at least twice in a row. The first time, the salt at the top of the bowl turns almost black.

Also, until recently, I was worried that by doing the salt treatment, I'd destroy the cake. Then I realized that a salt-cleaned pipe smokes better than a tarry one, so I stopped worrying.

At times though, a pipe will still smoke wet (going out, water build-up at the bottom of the bowl), but I can't say exactly if that's caused by the tobacco or the briar.