What's new

Pipe Packing tips for a beginner?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recommended to me I should do the Frank Method, and I found a "Pipe Packing 101 - Frank Method" thread here.. I guess the question is, as a beginner is there a recommended way to pack the pipe? Should I just jump right into the Frank Method or should I go with a more simple method?

I suppose as far as things go, it's more from a "Do I know enough of what I'm doing to really do an 'advanced' method of packing".

Any tips would be much welcome!

Thanks

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
You put the tobaccy in the pipe & set fire to it.
Puff, puff.

It's really not rocket science. j/k
(I can't help it..)

There are actually a lot of resources online to help you along with enjoying your new hobbie. A few suggestiong from me would be:
1. prepare: rub out the tobacco and let it dry a bit (15-30mins)
2. gather the paraphernelia: tamper, pipe cleaner, lighter or matches and a pipe cleaner.
3. fill the pipe, then gently tamper it down to about 1/3 (test 'draw'), fill it to the top & tamper down till 2/3 (test 'draw'), fill to the top & gently tamper (using tamper or finger, or thumb) so that the tobacco is neatly pressed into the pipe.
4. Test the draw - if at any time, there is any resistance at all, you may have to start over. You'll get the hang of it.

Char-light the pipe (it's not going to stay lit the first time). Tamper it with tool lightly.
Puff & light, tamper, puff, sip, tamper, light, puff, sip, etc., etc., etc....
(Also - don't be afraid to use the pipe cleaner, even mid-smoke to remove resin & moisture that can give you a bitter or unpleasant taste.)

Keep in mind to 'sip' the pipe instead of 'gulp' as you would a cigar. Remember: the slower you burn the tobacco, the more you will taste. Have patience & you will not make the pipe too hot, or burn your tongue (tongue-bite).

Clean the pipe using pipe cleaners after you're done - 3 should do I also use the 'dirty' end to clean the bowl out & help build a 'cake' (layer of resin in the bowl), leaving the bowl & stem clean & intact, ready for next time.

Give it a whirl & let us know how you do!!!

:tiphat:

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great advice.. I've got the day off today and my only appointment was cancelled.. have a wood project in the garage, think I'm going to try today out with this Borkum Riff Cherry Cav.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don't be afraid to empty your pipe before you light it and re-pack it if the test draw is too loose (think sucking air through a straw) or too tight (think a plugged cigar).

Your trying for some resistance like drinking soda through a normal sized straw, its hard to explain.

As you smoke you'll need to tamp down the tobbacco. Don't go crazy a few gentle tamps is all you need. If you press down too hard the tobbacco will block the hole where the bowl and stem meet. One way to correct this is to run a pipe cleaner down the stem into the hole to clear away tobbaco from the smoke hole.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started Pipe smoking (and that was only about 17 months ago), I tried all the methods that were out there. Some worked OK for me and some didn't. Now what I do is simply fill the bowl and slightly tamp it down with my finger, then repeat until the bowl is full. Works great every time. It takes a little time to get the "feel" just right, and for different tobacco types and cuts, but that's just a small matter that you'll learn as you smoke more. Then, I simply use a pipe nail to tamp the ash a time or two while smoking.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
It is pretty tricky to get the feel of. It's great to experiment to find the best way to suit you. I pretty much do it the way Soundwave describes. Seems to work well to get the perfect draw resistance for me!

And I will definitely second the idea of letting the tobacco dry a bit. Especially with aromatics, it will give you a more pleasant smoke. The "steam" caused from moist aromatics with definitely increase the chances of tongue bite!

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
the biggest thing is to remember to go slow. I put a pinch in at a time till its full and softly pack it in, refill slowly again, and pack again, slowly fill and repack again till its even. This usually takes me 2-3 mins. If I over pack I dump out and refill all over. Fee free to hit me up by pm or in the chat room and I can answer any questions you have. Also different blends pack differently. moisture plays a big part of packing the tobacco. If its do try it will crumble into too small of pieces, too wet will clump and pack too tight. the best way to tell if the tobacco is at the right humidity is to take a bit and roll it itno a small ball. if to dry it will do stay in shape and crumble. if to wet it will stay in the tight ball shape. the right humidity the ball will spring slightly out of the ball shape.

it is sometime better to let a wet tobacco dry out for a few mins on a paper towel expecially on english and virginia blends that are usually tinned with a bit more h20 for aging.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As childish as it sounds I use the method I found when I was first starting pipe smoking. It's called the three bears, or the Goldilocks method. You lightly fill the bowl by just dropping tobacco in and once its full, take your tamp and pack it securely(papa bear), not really hard but hard enough that the tobacco is close and springy. Then fill it to the top again and pack it slightly lighter(mama bear). And finally, fill the little bit of space left in the bowl and just lightly touch the tobacco with your tamp to flatten it out (baby bear). I know its the stupidest method ever created, but I have to admit its easy to remember.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I smoked a pipe years ago before I got TMJ I did exactly what
Dsturg is talking about and it only took an afternoon of practice. I want to get back into pipes as I think it's been enough years where I will be ok. When I packed my bowl and it appeared that it was a bit too much I'd use the sharp nail portion to "vent" it,,,usually only one pierce would vent it just right and I'd be able to light and enjoy for at least 15-25 minutes which was a lot better than the 5-10 minutes I use to do and was always re lighting.

When I first started Pipe smoking (and that was only about 17 months ago), I tried all the methods that were out there. Some worked OK for me and some didn't. Now what I do is simply fill the bowl and slightly tamp it down with my finger, then repeat until the bowl is full. Works great every time. It takes a little time to get the "feel" just right, and for different tobacco types and cuts, but that's just a small matter that you'll learn as you smoke more. Then, I simply use a pipe nail to tamp the ash a time or two while smoking.