What's new

Pipe question

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do most of you use a filter in the stem? I've notice that my tounge gets burned from the blow by threw the stem from hot ash.

I'm really starting to enjoy the pipe smoking just finshed a bowl of ashley 109
it was very good and thanks tedski for the tips on the pack procedure and the towl paper trick it work very well.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No filter here.. slow down, dry out the tobacco so it isn't so humid but mostly it is about slowing down to not get tounge bite..

The blends and pipe also have impact.. VA blends tend to be more proun to give tougue bite and I find that a longer stem quality pipe works well for these blends, especially the pot shape bowls that also helps reducing the amount of air getting to the tobacco without me pulling, so the tobacco tends to burn slower, which is a good thing with VA blends.

But mostly it is my own fault if I get tounge bite because I wasn't patient enough and was too eager.. in cigar terms, imagine taking a panatela and dry it out and then pull as hard as you can on it.. it'll also give you tounge bite lol.. the pipe construction with the slim air hole have a way of increasing the pull you do with your mouth so the analogy is fairly accurate.. hence, the need to take slow and steady puffs and not double puffs etc..

This is really hard to do when new to pipes especially in the lightning of the pipe phase.. and that is when most people get the first tounge bite.. they pull too hard and to frequent to get the pipe lit and then their toungue becomes over sensitive to the smoke thereafter.
Char the tobacco well, light it slowly, let it go out... and char again and light it slowly again and you'll notice a difference...

just my 2cents though

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is normal to re-light at one point or another.. I have gotten to the point of not having to re-light often.. but some touch ups can be needed. It is more often a fluke of getting it all right if you don't have to re-light.. correcty humidity in the baccy, the perfect filling of the pipe, just the right pace of smoking and lastly a good quality pipe suitable for that blend.. the no 1& 2 in the list are the most easy to get somewhat less then optimal and therefore it is quite seldom that you achieve having a pipe lit all the way through.. especially in the first 20 years or so of pipe smoking LOL (j/k it doesn't take that long to master it but it isn't a quick process either).