What's new

Pipe Question

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I had brother gift me a beautiful Boswell pipe that smokes like an absolute beauty. I have enjoyed a few bowls but the last time I enjoyed it on Friday and this happened.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433036433.859607.jpg

Is there a reason that it would stain my hand that way. Is there anything I could do to prevent this?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did you use any sunscreen or insect repellant, or anything else that has alcohol that may have gotten on your hands?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It's happened on my hand also. But with a few of my other pipes as well I've noticed. I take a guess and say it's some of the excess stain heating up when you smoke. It should go away though as you smoke it. Since it's a Boswell pipe, give them a call and ask. There's no such thing as a dumb question. I'm sure Dan or JM could give you an answer about what's happening. Maybe even take a soft paper towel or cloth and wipe it down. Just be careful not to damage the briar with a cloth too rough for it.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Jon does this pipe get hot while you smoke it? maybe it has to do with the stain, and the pipe being still new. I second the phone call idea, they might have a better clue than us.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
It's a beautiful pipe. I haven't seen this happen yet but Boswell is top notch. I would talk to them and at least let them know what's going on.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Alright I meant to post up about the response that I got but baby came into the world and I forgot. The bleeding onto the hands is normal for the first few smokes as the excess stain pigments are pushed out from the heat. This should stop and the the stain will show a more natural tone with less shine.

Thank you for your direction all also I hope this helps future BOTLs