What's new

Pipe Smokers Beware!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
A new bill has been introduced and is pending in Congress, H.R. 4439, that would amend federal law established by last year's S-CHIP expansion. The bill proposes raising the federal excise tax rate on Pipe Tobacco to be equal to the tax rate on roll-your-own Cigarette Tobacco.

The federal pipe tobacco tax is currently $2.8311 per pound, which represents a 158% increase from the pre-S-CHIP tax of $1.0969 per pound. The proposed bill would increase the tax on pipe tobacco to a whopping $24.78 per pound!

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I signed the petition to remove this bill. They are going after the RYO tobacco that changed the classification to pipe tobacco not cig tobacco.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I love how they always target tobacco but never alcohol. I don't have and statistics but pretty sure alcohol related deaths are greater than those attributed to tobacco.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I love how they always target tobacco but never alcohol. I don't have and statistics but pretty sure alcohol related deaths are greater than those attributed to tobacco.
Yeah...good point. If the Gov't needs money so bad, I agree with my high school sociology teacher:

"I think they should just legalize marijuana, and tax the hell out of it!"

...Yeah my teacher said that!!

I must agree though, the government would make a KILLING!! (Not that I smoke it myself)...I seriously don't

-Dave

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Well I was considering buying a pipe, but I really don't know the first thing about pipe smoking a pipe or pipe tobacco. I've only ever smoked the occasionally cigar up until I decided to get serious about it, even then its hard to do that with the temperatures here in the winter. Up here in the great white north I don't know exactly what the taxes are but I know they are high.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Yeah...good point. If the Gov't needs money so bad, I agree with my high school sociology teacher:

"I think they should just legalize marijuana, and tax the hell out of it!"

...Yeah my teacher said that!!

I must agree though, the government would make a KILLING!! (Not that I smoke it myself)...I seriously don't

-Dave
I totally agree, and not for my own enjoyment. I've never tried it and don't have a desire to, but have you ever heard of anybody who wants to smoke weed but doesn't? They say they can't regulate it, but they clearly can't regulate alcohol either since I've seen my fair share of moonshine. Why not legalize it and tax it? It's not nearly as dangerous as alcohol. Darn beurocracies!