What's new

Pipe tobacco storage

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Ok I did a fast search and couldn't find my answer sooo....

How do y'all store your pipe tobacco? Also, is it a bad idea to store your pipe tobacco in a coolerdor with your cigars?

Thanks for any input.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Pipe tobacco often has different flavors and infusions. If stored with your cigars, they will transfer over and your smokes will start to taste like cherries, chocolate, strong ceder, etc. I wouldn't recommend storing them together in the same coolidor or humidor.

I could be wrong, but pipe tobacco doesn't need anything more than just one of those jars with the locking lid, right?

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Depends on what kinds of pipe tobacco. I store mostly tins and then will smoke through the tin within a few weeks so never have to worry much about it. Bulk tobacco should be stored in airtight jars out of the light if storing for long periods of time. Just like my cigars I prefer cooler temps for long term storage.

Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Yeah AZ it does. I'm in the same boat. Cigar smoker who dabbles in pipe smoking and just starting. I wasn't sure what humidity level PT should be stored at so good info there. Thanks.

I pretty much figured PT was like infused smokes in a way and don't want to store them together. Glad forth confirmation.

Thanks all around for the input and info.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I use Mason canning jars. They come in small and large for the amount you want to store. I currently have some tobacco stored for 4 years that smokes as good (or better) than the day I bought it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also use Mason jars, have been for the last year or so, pick them up at the local grocery store in 10 packs I believe, for about $10. Been very happy with them.

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Another vote for mason jars. Thank goodness that's where all mine were when our house burned. The cabinet I had it all in was torched, jars were soot covered and water damaged.

Seal rings had sealed on from the heat I suppose and all of the tobacco was as fresh as when I first put it in!

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I have a Boveda pack...72% I think...but I don't really dry box the tobacco or anything. I'm not a frequent smoker though, but I've never had a problem. Keep in mind though that pipe tobacco is moister than cigars.

Dan

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So... how do you get the humidity within an acceptable range? Just store it wet and dry box it before you smoke?
That's what I do, just dump in the jar and seal it up tight. Even after several years the moisture level is still there as long as the seal is good. I've even read about some people dipping the lid in wax to provide and extra seal.