What's new

Pipes and Cold Weather Smoking

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
For the cold weather smokers here, how well do pipes smoke in cold (say 20 degrees or less) weather? I hesitate to take decent cigars out when it's that cold, since the wrappers tend to freeze and crack. It seems like a pipe might be a better choice, and this would be a good excuse to give pipe-smoking a try. Any thoughts?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It does not get that cold where I live very often, but I smoke a pipe in the lower 30s no problems.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Pipes smoke very well in the cold. But, I only know from smoking one while on a ski trip. Its a beautiful 74 degrees out here. But seriously, the cold will not effect the smoking of a pipe. The wind will cause you to smoke it faster.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never smoke outside, warm or cold. But I have read and read on the BoB pipe forum about guys who do smoke in the cold. Consider using a space heater.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Pipes are not affected by temperature. I smoke pipes at all temp's and the only issue is the wind. A plus for cold weather is the built in hand warmer. If you don't want to be out in the weather that long just use a pipe with a smaller bowl. You can also let the pipe "go out" and fire it up again later.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can smoke a pipe in the cold, but not in a strong wind. Pipes don't like windy conditions, hot OR cold. Even with a wind cap, a wind will make it hard to taste what you are smoking.

If the air is more or less still, however, smoking while taking a stroll in the cold, sunny day can be very pleasant indeed.

HOWEVER, never bring a meerschaum out in the cold. It might just crack.