What's new

Pipes v. Cigars

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone else experienced this? I find that I can go from smoking a cigar to smoking a pipe without any problems, but if I smoke a pipe and then light a cigar, the cigar inevitably tastes like crap. Anyone else?

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I agree - I have the same experience. I usually wait for late evening to smoke a pipe - on a few occasions I have smoked earlier in the day, but waited a few hours before smoking a cigar, then I was fine. (A burnt toungue will mess me up for a whole day though.)

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I do both, mostly smoke a pipe in the winter months though. I compare the two to drinking coffee....the pipe reminds me of decaf and a cigar reminds me of a good full strength coffee blend....strong and unleaded! :cbig:

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
I completely agree. Pipe tobacco is usually wayyyyy harder on my palate. Sometimes, if i smoke it too fast, it even burns my tongue. i save the pipes for late night camp-fires.

Nice convo piece!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've have to agree, it may be the increased moisture in pipe tobacco or the more concentraited smoke stream you get from a pipe, but pipe to cigar is a no go for me also.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right!! But it happens only if you smoked a flavored pipe tobacco. When I do some english blends or pure tobaccos I have no big problem

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are right!! But it happens only if you smoked a flavored pipe tobacco. When I do some english blends or pure tobaccos I have no big problem
Actually, I never smoke flavored tobacco, but I still have that experience. :dunno:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not noticed a difference. But I don't go right from one to the other. I usually give it 15 minutes or more. Maybe that's why. The exception is frog morton OTT. I cannot smoke a cigar after that without it tasting like a bad mix between the cigar and the frog morton.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My blend is usually a 85/15 mix of regular and aromatic. I generally have no issue when I switch to a cigar shortly after.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I find pipe tobacco has a much longer finish to it that will linger on your palette and interfere with your cigar taste. Tongue bite is also an issue that can ruin a cigar experience.

I prefer going from cigar to pipe, but I have to admit I have gone back and forth throughout the day.