What's new

Pirate Kake - March PoM

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So ive had one bowl. In a meer. Wasn't sure if I wanted to use a briar for this blend yet. I had several relights. So will allow it to dry before next bowl which will be in a braor.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have not smoked Pirate Kake in almost a year. I bought 5 tins, smoked through half a tin, and gave the rest away. I remember not liking it, and I tried it in a meer, a gord, briar, cob, and even rolled some in a cigarette was just not my bag. Always tasted like mud to me.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I had a bowl last week. I think I packed a bit tight but the flavor was pretty awesome for me. It was the first and only thing I smoked that day. I used my 320 series III which I tend to use for my english blends since I got it.

I may blend some in with shortcut to mushrooms to cut the sweetness and up the lat flavor.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Used to like this when I had smoked it last year. Not so much this go around. First bowl didn't dry out enough. Second bowl just too heavy on lat and that's saying something for me

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Only place that had it was smoking pipes and it wasn't worth it to just get it. I'll wait for April's
Yea it was weird. I posted the poll and everyone had it. Then like the next day most were sold out. I got mine from thepipeguys.com.
Yep. Was gonna get it with an order of other things in my cart on pipes and cigars. Waited a day, then out of stock.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I bought a good amount in bulk last year. Looked at it tonight after the above post and it seems to have gone up in price. I don't remember paying near what it is today. Who knows? Must have gotten popular or HTF...

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Had my second bowl of pirate kake today thanks to javajunkie and enjoyed it this will be my first review on a pipe tobacco so judge me gently

Smoked both in a mm country gentleman cob
Was dated 6/13, and seemed about right humidity wise so didn't bother to dry it out
Packed and lit easily though I had to rub it out a little as there were a few large inconsistent chunks in there, smoked very dry, no tongue bite, I think I either picked too large a bowl or should have only packed it 2/3 as I had a hard time keeping it going at the end

Flavor wise I really enjoy this, but I do enjoy most full flavored Latakia blends, I got a nice blast of spiciness/ Latakia those first few puffs with a little tingle on the nose on retrohale, then it seemed to calm down a bit giving a more rich and creamy flavor/fullness on the palate, I will certainly keep some of this one around, and suggest trying h&h Larry's blend if you find this one enjoyable

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I've smoked a few bowls of this and enjoyed them all even if I ended up with a tough smoke mid bowl. It smokes very dry even if it is a bit too moist. There is no bite that I experienced. The smoke is very full. Some pipes left it as a great smoke and when smoked in my Sav 320 it left me with an ashy lingering aftertaste. I think the smaller bowl of my Mario Grandi I purchased is about the right size for this blend. I like it on its own and I like it mixed in with other blends to up the lat kick a bit and give a blend a little more creaminess.

I just took some PK and added it to Shortcut to Mushrooms to balance out the qualities of Shortcut that I didn't really like. I have yet to smoke it but I did about a 50/50 blend and will start smoking that soon.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
My "mini-review" from IG, sorry about the delay!

I found I almost had to leave it out overnight to get a decent burn experience, yet the flavors and the smoke "felt" more dry than anything else I think I've tried. So weird compared to how wet and dense the physical tobacco felt. I was expecting it to be more rich like the Plum Pudding since that's the only other "kake" I've tried (** is a "crumble kake", right?) but it seemed very dry. That's the only word I can think of. Oh, and talk about a hickory/smoke scent! Is that fire-cured or is it all latakia?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If one is going to be picked, it helps me if it's picked soon as I plan on making an order sometime soon. :)