What's new

Place to start

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Pardon, I'm not in the group of cigar rollers here. I do find it interesting though, I've read some of the treads here and there. I may of missed the dicussion that answers my question, I'm sorry if so.
What is the range in tobacco cost to make a cigar, for example a robusto?...for those of you who buy their own tobacco to roll rather than grow their own.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Pardon, I'm not in the group of cigar rollers here. I do find it interesting though, I've read some of the treads here and there. I may of missed the dicussion that answers my question, I'm sorry if so.
What is the range in tobacco cost to make a cigar, for example a robusto?...for those of you who buy their own tobacco to roll rather than grow their own.
You will probably spend between a buck and a quarter and a buck and a half to roll your typical 5-6" x 50rg robusto.
I roll 5 1/4" x 50 rg perfectos (that shape produces very little waste) for six bits apiece.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subed to this thread. A lot of great info in here. Sometimes while I'm reading it sounds like you guys are speaking a language I've never heard..lol. it's all goodtho I'm learning.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Subed to this thread. A lot of great info in here. Sometimes while I'm reading it sounds like you guys are speaking a language I've never heard..lol. it's all goodtho I'm learning.

I get that. I'm still picking up on different terms. If you are really interested don't be afraid to get your feet wet. You don't have to go all in like I did. Just start off with a little leaf and see where that gets you. But be careful. This is a STEEP and SLIPPERY slope. But so much fun.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that. I'm still picking up on different terms. If you are really interested don't be afraid to get your feet wet. You don't have to go all in like I did. Just start off with a little leaf and see where that gets you. But be careful. This is a STEEP and SLIPPERY slope. But so much fun.
Thank you for the encouragement. I joined botl cause I heard there were guys over here into making their own cigars. Glad I found ya. I am planning on taking this a step further by growing/curing my own leaf instead of buying. I do pretty good with gardening and tobacco apears to be rather easy to grow. The curing and aging thing might be tricky but I like a challenge. Buying the leaf is a great idea too but isn't that rather expensive? Interested in your thoughts.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Thank you for the encouragement. I joined botl cause I heard there were guys over here into making their own cigars. Glad I found ya. I am planning on taking this a step further by growing/curing my own leaf instead of buying. I do pretty good with gardening and tobacco apears to be rather easy to grow. The curing and aging thing might be tricky but I like a challenge. Buying the leaf is a great idea too but isn't that rather expensive? Interested in your thoughts.

Hahaha welcome brother! Buying leaf to roll with isn't expensive at all (unless you're @blisscigarco and buy everything). Check out leafonly or whole leaf tobacco

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha welcome brother! Buying leaf to roll with isn't expensive at all (unless you're @blisscigarco and buy everything). Check out leafonly or whole leaf tobacco

Thanks man. I've been doing just that today. So let's say I have a blend that requires four different types of leaf. I buy a pound of each. Now I'm guessing that you blow through the bunching and binding material pretty fast and the wrappers seen to last the longest. So about how many cigars of a certain size would I expect out of my first four pound purchase. Barring the mistakes made that get thrown into my pipe..lol. let's just pretend it's your four pounds and let you rollem. How many would ya get.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks man. I've been doing just that today. So let's say I have a blend that requires four different types of leaf. I buy a pound of each. Now I'm guessing that you blow through the bunching and binding material pretty fast and the wrappers seen to last the longest. So about how many cigars of a certain size would I expect out of my first four pound purchase. Barring the mistakes made that get thrown into my pipe..lol. let's just pretend it's your four pounds and let you rollem. How many would ya get.
You didn't ask me but I'll chime in. :angelic: You probably need five pounds: 1 binder, 1 seco, 1 viso, 1 ligero, 1 wrapper. You don't have to use all three filler types, but it'll give you the ability to do hundreds of different blends rather than just dozens. But if you really only want two pounds of filler, you can do a lot of things with 1lb seco, 1lb ligero. You will probably realistically get about 15 sticks to a pound. But considering all the variables--how much waste, stick size, etc.--you can guess 50-100 sticks for five pounds.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't ask me but I'll chime in. :angelic: You probably need five pounds: 1 wrapper, 1 seco, 1 viso, 1 ligero, 1 wrapper. You don't have to use all three filler types, but it'll give you the ability to do hundreds of different blends rather than just dozens. But if you really only want two pounds of filler, you can do a lot of things with 1lb seco, 1lb ligero. You will probably realistically get about 15 sticks to a pound. But considering all the variables--how much waste, stick size, etc.--you can guess 50-100 sticks for five pounds.
Thank you bliss and please always feel free to throw in an answer on anything I post. I see what you post and must say your very good at what you do. How long you been rolling? Hmmm this buying thing may be doable. I'll have to start gathering tools and prep a work place.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
You didn't ask me but I'll chime in. :angelic: You probably need five pounds: 1 wrapper, 1 seco, 1 viso, 1 ligero, 1 wrapper. You don't have to use all three filler types, but it'll give you the ability to do hundreds of different blends rather than just dozens. But if you really only want two pounds of filler, you can do a lot of things with 1lb seco, 1lb ligero. You will probably realistically get about 15 sticks to a pound. But considering all the variables--how much waste, stick size, etc.--you can guess 50-100 sticks for five pounds.
Blake is wayyyyyy better than me at this, whatever he says, do it!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had not found that one. Thank you it looks like a pretty active board. Ima dive in there today sometime.
Great! I look forward to seeing you there. FYI .. There is a lot of stuff there. That is the place for growers. The owner of FTT runs http://wholeleaftobacco.com/ (WLT).

The place to talk openly about other leaf suppliers then WLT is here.