What's new

Plume or Mold???

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20150718_130717.jpg 20150718_130727.jpg 20150718_130742.jpg

Just got in an order through the mail from overseas. 10 cigars in the box, I noticed "something" on 6 of them. It wipes off pretty easily with the fingertip. Trying to figure out if plume or mold. If it matters, it appears cigars were boxed in May 2014. I appreciate your thoughts.
If it is mold, can I wipe it off and smoke them? I am going to request a replacement shipment, but assuming they tell me they will send it but don't bother sending this one back, can I smoke them?
Attached are some pictures.
Thanks for the help.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Am I OK to wipe it off and smoke them? Is it merely a cosmetic issue? Does it affect taste? Is it potentially harmful to smoke the mold? Would really hate to have to toss these cigars.
Dood your all good doesn't seem like its on the foot. Just wipe it off and if u feel so inclined u could use a very light wipe of alcohol Reiterate very light. And store them a ways below 70 rh. By the pic id say u can smoke them.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
When you got to ask, it is mold. These pictures are also mold.

for references, here's what plume looks like. It seems like the leaf aged to the point of discoloring...

it's pretty easy to tell the difference between mold and plume. Plume is fine, almost looks like fine salt to me. It is evenly dispersed. Mold is splotchy.

now, when your mold is only surface, you can decide to just wipe it off. If its inside the cigar (visible by the foot) then it is a heavy health hasard

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dood your all good doesn't seem like its on the foot. Just wipe it off and if u feel so inclined u could use a very light wipe of alcohol Reiterate very light. And store them a ways below 70 rh. By the pic id say u can smoke them.
Thank you all. Vendor is trying to say it is probably plume. I'm asking for a replacement since obviously is an issue due to their storage. We will see what they say.
I appreciate all the advice.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
That's definitely mold. If they were mine, I'd wipe them off, put them in a separate ziploc, and see what happens in a few days. Most of the time it doesn't come back and I'm happy to smoke them. If it's in the foot, that's a different issue and you should not smoke them.

I'm interested to see how your vendor handles it. A good vendor would offer to replace these without issue.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see they refund for mold. (or at least claim to)

I suggest you email a picture to them and see what they say. Please let us know what comes of it.