What's new

Plume or mold?

Jreyesortiz

Veteran, Homebrewer, & Cigar Smoker
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure this type of post has been brought up a few times already. But seen these at a local cigar shop and they are selling them for $10 each. Any recommendations or concerns?

I wish I had a better picture but my phone died shortly after I took the photo. It actually looks worse in person. And all the ciagrs in the box all have white fuzzy moldly looking feet... Some worse than others.

U.S. Marine Veteran

Jreyesortiz

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's what I figured. Probably why they were on sale. Originally $15

U.S. Marine Veteran

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot really tell by the pic. I personally rub my fingers on the cigar. If the "stuff" comes off easy and salt like then plume, or if it smears then mold.

"No hatchet wound? Guess what? YOU'RE A GUY!!!!", Uncle Wacco

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
$10 is a good price for them.

Can't tell much from the picture.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like mold but need to see clear. Cigars have looked like that and it's been plume so you need to wipe it and take a clearer picture to be sure.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I cannot really tell by the pic. I personally rub my fingers on the cigar. If the "stuff" comes off easy and salt like then plume, or if it smears then mold.

"No hatchet wound? Guess what? YOU'RE A GUY!!!!", Uncle Wacco
Not sure this is true. I'm no mold expert but pretty much everything we see is not plume.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this is true. I'm no mold expert but pretty much everything we see is not plume.
I am not an expert at all. I have only seen "plume" twice in my smoking adventures. And I could tell one was mold and the other was crystal. Which from what I read means plume mostly likely.

Jreyesortiz

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen mold before, never on a cigar. My first reaction was it is mold. Looked like mold, even fuzzy, not crytalized. I will be back there again.

U.S. Marine Veteran

Jreyesortiz

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My next question is... If it's mold... Can you still smoke it? And are there any risks or benefits? If any.

U.S. Marine Veteran

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
My next question is... If it's mold... Can you still smoke it? And are there any risks or benefits? If any.

U.S. Marine Veteran
Yes you can smoke it. You should not if it's inside the foot. Risk is that you're ingesting mold. No benefits unless you like ingesting mold.

However, no way I would on purpose buy a stick with mold unless it was 90% off or something like that and even then....

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
yeah man if that shit is mold then 5 dollars off is nowhere near enough of a discount. If you're REALLY interested then i say go to the owner and be like "these are moldy and a health hazard but i'll take them off your hands for 2 bucks a pop" although since there are only 3 of them in there it looks like their are enough idiots out there who are foolish enough to buy them at that price which may hurt your chances.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
yeah man if that shit is mold then 5 dollars off is nowhere near enough of a discount. If you're REALLY interested then i say go to the owner and be like "these are moldy and a health hazard but i'll take them off your hands for 2 bucks a pop" although since there are only 3 of them in there it looks like their are enough idiots out there who are foolish enough to buy them at that price which may hurt your chances.
Thats risky... @SaraCigar would probably ban him from the lounge.

Jreyesortiz

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's actually a different cigar. This one still had all the cigars in the box.

U.S. Marine Veteran

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
the problem I see is that potentially there is mold in the humidor.
If so, it will soon be epidemic.
Don't think I would shop there,and I would tell the owner to wake up................
If saving a few dollars would tempt you to buy a cigar that you KNOW has mold on it,you are approaching the hobby the wrong way.

ChuckMejia likes this..........:cool:

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
but as long as there isnt mold on the foot you can just clean it off and be fine though, may as well get a deal where you can in that situation i guess...i dunno if that cigar is good at all though