What's new

Pocket Carry of choice?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Well, I have never had a desire - let alone a NEED - for a pocket carry gun until now. There is an NPE I must go into once a week until after dark. Previously, this general area had robberies... just the typical snatch 'n' grab type stuff. Recently, these robberies have stepped up to armed robberies. Typically one individual with a weapon amidst a group of 5-6. So, I would really NOT mind having something better than my Nikes to get me out of a jam.

What do you pocket carry? What do you like about it? What don't you?

As it currently stands for me...
Top choice: S&W j-frame (642, 442, 340pd)
Second choice: Ruger LCR
Third: Ruger LCP. (Yes, I know it's a severe down-shift in ballistics. But, it's also a big up-shift in discretion).

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I pocket carry an LCP when appropriate. I really like it, very lightweight and comfortable. When shopping, it was a toss up between the LCP and a Kel Tech. The LCR wasn't available yet and I wasn't interested in pocket carrying a revolver.

Small, thin, lightweight, very easy to conceal

Dislikes
.380 (but carrying something is better than nothing)

What is a NPE?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not carry, but my wife carries the LCR and really likes the size. We have been amazed at the number of gun shop workers that keep this gun on them either as a primary or secondary weapon. Most agree that this is probably one of the simplest, goof proof guns due to the lack of an external hammer.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Definitely not an option.
I pocket carry an LCP when appropriate. I really like it, very lightweight and comfortable. When shopping, it was a toss up between the LCP and a Kel Tech. The LCR wasn't available yet and I wasn't interested in pocket carrying a revolver.

Dislikes

What is a NPE?
Thanks. I'm not a Kel-Tech fan at all, but might as well ask. Which model were you looking at? Why did you decide against it?

NPE = Non Permissive Environment. Basically means an area where carry is either not allowed, or highly frowned upon.

Most agree that this is probably one of the simplest, goof proof guns due to the lack of an external hammer.
Yep. That's the beauty of the J Frame design.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Rick said. Been carrying a LCP with Crimson Trace laser in a Uncle George's wallet holster daily for two years. The LCP is a nasty little gun to take to the range for practice but does what it was designed to do nicely and does not require a complete wardrobe overhaul to carry concealed.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Definitely not an option.

Dislikes

What is a NPE?
Thanks. I'm not a Kel-Tech fan at all, but might as well ask. Which model were you looking at? Why did you decide against it?

NPE = Non Permissive Environment. Basically means an area where carry is either not allowed, or highly frowned upon.

Most agree that this is probably one of the simplest, goof proof guns due to the lack of an external hammer.
Yep. That's the beauty of the J Frame design.
I was looking at the 3 p-at ( if my memory is correct), I chose the LCP because I own other Rugers ( a touch of brand loyalty perhaps?), plus the Rugers fit and finish was a lot better than the Keltec.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
OP Any reason your going for pocket carry and not full sized concealed? I keep a glock 26 In my edc bag as a back up and have carried it in suit pocket when I wasnt able to conceal a full sized handgun comfortably due to the fit of the suit. Most of the time I have a Glock 17 in a hybrid ( Kydex and Leather) appendix holster.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
My buddy just got a S&W M&P .380 as a pocket carry. Very small and lightweight not to mention hammerless. He is extremely happy with it.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
OP Any reason your going for pocket carry and not full sized concealed? I keep a glock 26 In my edc bag as a back up and have carried it in suit pocket when I wasnt able to conceal a full sized handgun comfortably due to the fit of the suit. Most of the time I have a Glock 17 in a hybrid ( Kydex and Leather) appendix holster.
Discretion is of the utmost importance in this situation.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Usually a Taurus Model 85

I like that it's small enough to fit in a pocket, (even from pants) so there is no reason for me not to CC it. (Unless it's a forbiden area) While it's a Taurus I've haven't ever had it fail on me either. So I feel confident that it will perform if ever needed. .38 +p is a respectable defensive round.

Drawback is that it only holds 5rds. Stats say that most gunfights only average 3 shots. While I have 5, I would feel a little more comfortable with more capacity before I have to re-load. Especially if there is more than 1 person attacking you.

That said I mind my own buiseness and follow the 3s rule

Don't hang out with stupid people
Don't hang out at stupid places
Don't do stupid things

Also have pocket carried in a jacket (bigger pocket) a Glock 26 or Colt Defender.

NAA 22 mag mini revolver is a back up to them. But I don't recomend it as a primary.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
When I did pocket carry, I used a sig P238 with crimson trace laser. That little things really shoots and is very easy to pocket carry.
And to the rest that mentioned the XDS 3.3, they have a recall on them, just FYI. I sent mine in and they told me at least 30 days till I will hear anything.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0

Dislikes

What is a NPE?
Pretty much my exact answer. I'm not crazy about the ballistics or the recoil or the mag size, but the gun just works and does the job intended. It's a true mouse gun/pocket pistol. Small, lightweight and skinny. The LCP definitely has an advantage over the Kel-Tec when it comes to fit and finish, also the LCP has a slide catch, the Kel-Tecs I looked at did not.

If discretion is important, I would suggest this one over the J-frame, the cylinder of any revolver would stick out twice as much as the LCP.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Kahr P380. Better build quality, sights, and trigger than the other 380 pocket gun options. I used to carry a custom 340PD in my pocket, but the cylinder bulge is still somewhat noticable and can impede a good draw. Other thought is Rohrbaugh.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I rarely pocket carry these days. I used to do it regularly, but then I realized that I spend a lot of time sitting on my ass, and it's almost impossible to draw a handgun from your pocket while remaining seated. So, I have generally switched to OWB holsters. However, I do still sometimes pocket carry, usually because wardrobe dictates it. On those occasions, it's almost always a Kel-tec P3-AT, still the smallest, slimmest, lightest .380 semiauto around. Not as pretty as a Ruger LCP, but just a tad smaller and lighter. I also have a pocket holster or two for my Kahr CM-9, but I almost never pocket-carry it.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
What kind of pants are you guys wearing?

XDS a compact pistol? yes...

a pocket rocket? no...

Have you tried to draw an XDS fom a front pocket? Even with loose jeans on.. that would be a serious challenge...