What's new

Poison Ivy?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I haven't had poison ivy in over a decade & I unfortunately broke that streak during a hike last week... Holy hell, it's everywhere (literally)! Nothing worse than having to walk a few miles for work, all while itching & being miserable! Even passed up a cigar this afternoon to sit in itchy agony lol.

Was wondering if anyone had any good home remedies? I'm about to take a garden rake & scratch to the bone lol.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Ivyrest? I think it's a two part system, a scrub then cream. I got it real bad two years ago, hospital visit bad. Which in turn left a rash all over my hands from the steroid shit they gave me. I found the ivy rest system to work wonders. Dried it out pretty quick.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Sorry to hear brother. I don't have any remedies. The wife had to see the Dr and get a shot to clear hers up early this spring. Good luck and keep us posted.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
gf just got it pretty bad; no home remedy, but the stuff the doctor gave her dried it out pretty fast. it's STILL healing though, weeks later. feel for you, brother. that sucks a LOT.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed on the prednisone. The stuff works fast. I get it really bad once a year. Usually it will clear up but last year it started to get all over my face. It got pretty close to my eyes and that's when I decided that I needed to see a doctor. The shot she gave me cleared it up and I saved the steroid pack and just used it to clear up this years case of poison ivy. It's funny though, after I have gotten it for the year, I can just about roll around naked in the stuff and I won't get it. It's weird

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Agreed on the prednisone. The stuff works fast. I get it really bad once a year. Usually it will clear up but last year it started to get all over my face. It got pretty close to my eyes and that's when I decided that I needed to see a doctor. The shot she gave me cleared it up and I saved the steroid pack and just used it to clear up this years case of poison ivy. It's funny though, after I have gotten it for the year, I can just about roll around naked in the stuff and I won't get it. It's weird
Desentization!

I treat people for contact derm/ poison ivy all the time an oral steroid such as prednisone/dexamethasone will be your best bet most otcs just make the sx more tolerable where the steroid will suppress the allergic reaction, given time it will go away but the question is whether you can stand it until then, OTC oral Benadryl and topical hydrocortisone can be helpful in mild cases,

after the oil has been on the skin for an hour or so you're likely to get the rash if you're allergic regardless of what type of topical soap you use to remove it, best practice is avoidance if possible or immediately wash after known exposure, I usually just recommend some dawn, the oil can also be on clothes and pets so make sure you wash those too

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I keep a bottle of tecnu on hand every year regardless of the cost. If I even think I've contacted it. It's gets taken out if the cabinet and wash wash I go. 4hrs is about the time before it's too late. Been two years so far. No poison ivy. She's a real FING C...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Two weeks of misery, finally giving in & seeing a doctor, hoping for steroids or something. I hate doctors (needles & big bills lol).

Had it on my back & rump, had to sleep on bath towels so as not to ruin the mattress. Those have gotten better, but now my body is red & itchy every where!

And then there's THIS (getting better, but skin is cracking by the joint)

Idk if I got into it, or possibly the dog. I love the outdoors, but I'm now contemplating till colder months to do my hiking in.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Wow that looks really serious. I'm glad you are giving in and seeing a doctor, with that kind of cracking you may even be at risk of infection, etc. Best of luck in getting relief, brother.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
We can help!

No benefit to a shot vs oral steroids other than a bigger bill

In the future it's easier to treat sooner than later, after the reaction has started/it weeps and crusts it's much harder to treat

Kind of like stopping the snowball from rolling down the hill before it gets bigger

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It can get in your blood and spread to your whole body. I learned that the hard way. Think it was sumac though. Shots and time, about a month I think.( when the shots wore off it came back. Talk about frustrating)