What's new

Poker Chips

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
I figure we have a card thread, why not a chip (not the kind you eat Todd) thread.

I know there are some serious collectors of chips out there. What do you guys regularly play with (please don't say your junk)?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
I have a set of chips I got a couple years back. Basic, heavy plastic chips that everyone and their mother has...in fact, the exact same ones Todd had at the herf. In looking at the KEM cards on Ebay it's obvious that the price of chips has been driven down into the basement. I could have picked up whole sets for $25 with no problem...and better chips than I currently have.

I was gifted with a set from a big box store that says: Professional Poker Set, 500 ct of 11.5g with dice design. Says Cardinal on the box, must be the mfg. Not a bad set for the low price he paid.

Bought a set of standard clay chips on Ebay quite a few years ago. Don't know the mfg, but they are still in great shape.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Yep, same ones I have Kevin. I'll tell you what though, with the prices out there right now, if I ever actually started using the damn things I think I'd splurge for some real clay chips (I say splurge, MAYBE $50 on Ebay right now including shipping) as I just prefer the feel of real clay to the plastic of these.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
I have some similar to Kevins. They have dice around the edge.

My Dad got a set of 600 at Walmart for $30 while he was here...can't beat that with a stick.

You can choose which sort of chips to get. I wont be getting a whole set of different ones ranging from 1 to 100 as theres no point. So yeah, Im quite keen on having just two or three different colours.

Im here flicking between the dice, clay composite and suited numbered under the table ooer. The dice and numbered feel the exact same but the clay composite does feel a little more hefty and rather nice which is swaying me in that direction. They just dont look as nice.

Why Im making it this hard a choice I dont know.

I've got two cases of the basic chips available at Wally World, but I also have an antique wooden chip carousel gifted to me by n.olson and my other coworkers when I left Washington. Its' pretty nice w/ a little plaque attached.

I've got a set of the 'dice' chips in the metal briefcase most people seem to have. I also have a set of Kem cards somewhere; they are the best.

Treinenwj, very cool about the antique chips. I had a set like that, little round wood chips, no denomination, just colors. I think there were too few in the set to actually use for a game though.