What's new

Poker

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Pretty funny.

We would invite you to our game ... but it goes past your bedtime.

Next time you're in town ... seven card hi-lo .... bring cash.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
STAY AWAY FROM HI-LOW! Crazy ass, monkey-poker game.:twisted:

I played in a game with a guy from work (same dealer's choice I mentioned earlier) and the host is one lucky SOB. He was dealing Hi-Low and was hitting one guy every friggin' time for the pot. He would get A,2, buet the Pot and get hit with the A or the 2 kind of thing. I actually, I kid you not, had a side bet going with the guy next to me that he would get busted everytime he was dealt with. If he got busted, I won a buck, if he didn't, the other guy did. I won more money on that side game than on the damn Hi-Low game.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sean,

I get it. You are just playing NL Texas hold em cash games? If so, what's the starting blinds, is I guess what I was asking.

RE rebuys in tourneys. Best to set a time limit. I love rebuy tourneys as they bring more money into the pot and honestly, the rebuys are usually coming from the same people (though I've done so myself a handful of times). The game we run usually starts around 9 and rebuys end at 10. But it all depends on how long you want to play. Really, the deciding factor of how long you play is how you set up the blind structure and how often it increases.

We have been playing $5 buy-in freezouts (no rebuys) with blind raises every 6 hands, double the blind evertime someone goes out and we get 3-4 in a night. I personally prefer longer games as they take more skill, but this way the money gets spread around more.

owljones

habanoholics anonymous
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
If I'm looking for action, I head for the pot limit Omaha Hi-Lo table.:smt077

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Jwrussell said:
STAY AWAY FROM HI-LOW! Crazy ass, monkey-poker game.:twisted:

I played in a game with a guy from work (same dealer's choice I mentioned earlier) and the host is one lucky SOB. He was dealing Hi-Low and was hitting one guy every friggin' time for the pot. He would get A,2, buet the Pot and get hit with the A or the 2 kind of thing. I actually, I kid you not, had a side bet going with the guy next to me that he would get busted everytime he was dealt with. If he got busted, I won a buck, if he didn't, the other guy did. I won more money on that side game than on the damn Hi-Low game.
That's not seven card hi-lo. I know the game you're describing as Acey-Deucy... and you're right ... it's crazy! (Right, Kevin?)

Seven Card hi-lo (as I know it) is basic seven card 2down,4up,1down. High hand and low hand split the pot. High hand is self explanatory. Low is the exact oppsosite.

Here's the hook. After all the betting is done, the players declare is they are going low or high. You could be showing a great low 7,5,4,3 but wind up going high cause you straightened out.

Don't that make the cheese more binding!

After even though you're splitting the pot - they tend to be bigger pots - more people stay in - plus if you get a good high hand and a good low hand - htey keep bumping each other.

Gotta read cards and read people to get this game.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Oops, missed that Geoff. Yeah, though I never play declare. Too many fights. We play "cards speak". The trick to playing 7Stud H/L 8ob or any other H/L like it is to play mainly the hands that "scoop" pots. In other words, you want the hand that takes both the high and the low, A-5 being the best of course.