Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Por Larranaga Belicosos Extra (Campana)
140mm (5.512 inches) x 52 ring gauge

A little background information.

The Por Larranaga brand was registered in 1834 by Ignacio Larranaga at 94 O’ Reilly Street, Havana. The name, Por Larranaga, means “by Larranaga”. By the end of the 19th Century, Por Larranaga was a well known cigar brand favoured by the rich and famous. Despite the fame, Por Larranaga has never been a brand of large output, the cigars produced are always in selected quantities and are often sought after by discerning aficionados.

The Campana (Belicosos Extra) size was chosen as the 2008 Regional Edition because this is a popular size among connoisseurs who enjoy a full flavour and complex smoke. Por Larranaga has never before made a belicosos cigar in its portfolio; therefore this 2008 Regional Edition is truly unique and rare.

This 2008 Regional Edition produced by Habanos SA for PCC exclusively for its Asia Pacific markets is a special production that may not be reproduced again. The Por Larranaga Belicosos Extra cigar has all the trademark aromatic caramel sweetness, cloaked in a shroud of complexity waiting to be discovered by cigar aficionados. It has a length of 140mm with a 52 ring gauge size (20mm diameter), making it a full flavoured smoke. The Por Larranaga Belicosos Extra cigars come with a double ring band and it will be much sought after by cigar aficionados and collectors because of its rarity and aging potential. The Por Larranaga Belicosos Extra comes in a box of 25 sticks.

I smoked this cigar on New Year's Eve. I won't say how I acquired it, but it should be noted the cigar had a major tear in the cap which ran approximately an inch. This was caused by poor packaging for shipment. Having said that, the wrapper had a wonderful oliy sheen to it with minor veins. This cigar was well made with the beautiful gold embossed band and the second "Asia Pacific" regional release band.

Pre light hints of spice, light hay, leather and wood were present. After cutting with my Palio cutter, pre-light tastes of sweet spice, light espresso and an earthiness were present. I toasted this cigar with my Dupont Xtend light and this cigar immediately lit up with no draw issues. A great amount of blue grey smoke emitted from this cigar and the burn was nearly perfect.

The first third tastes of carmel, earthiness, dry hay and a little white pepper spice were terrific. A minor burn issue had to be touched up and the tear had no effect on my smoking this cigar.

The second and final third of this cigar continued with the great tastes. Although Por Larranage is known for the carmel flavor that comes through on their blends, the light spice made this flavor even better. Earthiness, leather and the hay flavors combined to make an enjoyable blend. There was a nice creaminess to this cigar also.

Overall, my example was a good smoke. The blend was a nice medium, but complex flavored cigar. The finish was great and kept me wanting more. There was no sourness or "Sick" point of this cigar. It is a great "now" smoking cigar, but with three to five years of age, this cigar will be even better. At a price pint of approximately $360 for a box of 25 or $14.40 a single, this is a must have cigar for the future. On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate this at a 9.

Thanks for taking the time to read this review and hope it helps.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
PThis cigar was well made with the beautiful gold embossed band and the second "Asia Pacific" regional release band.
Great review! That sounds great. Is this the same (primary) band? If so, I think that it's probably the most elegant cigar band I've seen.

(The images are from Jay Hemingway's excellent collection on cubancigarwebsite.com.)

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Very very nice. Great Review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
That's the pic for the PL Magnifico and that's an entirely different band design for the UK, and yes it's very elegant especially at $50. Bill I had a complete opposite experience with this cigar. Though it was o.k. I don't think they are even close to being ready and all of the PL traits were very muted for me. Based on your review I will revisit these in 90 days but I gotta say that for that kind price tag they should be ready to smoke NOW in my opinion. Very nice review wish I had the same experience.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the review, Bill! This one I've yet to try (don't frequent many regionals) but is definetly in line!

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I love to try the regionals. I have found that at times, they change the blends or use vitollas that have been discountinued. Unfortunately, they can be pricey at times.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thanks for the great review. Have not had the PL brand yet. I have a fiver of the German Regional from 2006 resting now. Trying to hold off as long as I can.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Thinking Thinking Thinking. I think I have a problem. OK, done thinking. FIRE.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Based on your review I will revisit these in 90 days but I gotta say that for that kind price tag they should be ready to smoke NOW in my opinion. Very nice review wish I had the same experience.
Yes, but CCs are notorious for needing at least three years to even think about smoking them. You gotta give cuba credit, they come out with all of these EL's and Regional Releases and charge a super premium for them. People keep paying it, so why not do even more next year? Is that cigar worth that amount of money? That depends on how many people buy it at that price. I won't pay that much for that cigar, but that's me.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Yes, but CCs are notorious for needing at least three years to even think about smoking them. You gotta give cuba credit, they come out with all of these EL's and Regional Releases and charge a super premium for them. People keep paying it, so why not do even more next year? Is that cigar worth that amount of money? That depends on how many people buy it at that price. I won't pay that much for that cigar, but that's me.
It's funny because I think most of this is all retailers. Here Regionals are only about 10% over other prices of a similar other cigar. And the LCDH are the same as other compareable cigars. Will say that the EL are overpriced. I have issuses with PSD5 being 20% over PSD4.