What's new

Por Larranaga RE 06 Germany - Thieven Weasel Review

Rating - 100%
234   0   0

Appearance: Medium brown with a dark tooth and some small veins present. Some small light colored dots were visible on the wrapper. This thin wrapper was pressed so smoothly that it appeared to be one solid piece and not just wrapped around the stick, especially the triple cap.

Burn: Smoking time: 1 hour 40 minutes. Near perfect burn with no touch-ups or purges needed to maintain a very even burn line that wavered less than ¼” for this stick except at the nub. The ash was striped white and black. Superior construction.

Pre-light: I took the stick out of the humi this morning and it smelled amazing with a blast of sweetness, rich cedar and mild tobacco. After a day in the dry box the aromas were more muted but still identifiable. The dry draw was tight and I pondered letting the stick rest in the dry box another day, but decided to go for it. The dry draw was disappointing as I was expecting more from the aroma but exhibited almost nothing except some dirt with a hint of raid.

First Third: Initial taste of slightly rich earth and creamy coffee with a bare hint of sweetness. Tasty, but not giving up much smoke due to the tight draw and only mild-medium bodied. As the draw improves the flavors become more full with the richness and sweetness rising up above the earth and coffee flavors. The end of the 1st third finds the smoke opening up more and heading towards medium body with the sweetness subsiding and a wood smoke flavor beginning to dominate the other flavors and a little heat coming through. It leaves a very pleasant taste in the mouth. I think I began smoking too fast at this point as the stick was tasty, but the draw was still a little tight and I wanted to get more smoke/flavor/body. I’d rate it a solid B at this point due to the great (but thin) flavors and excellent burn.

Second Third: As I consciously slowed my smoking down the coffee flavor (without cream) came back and then was gone in the next puff. As the sweetness (honey?) was playing the same game it made for an interesting combination of flavors dancing across my palate without knowing what to expect next. As the draw opened even further, this stick settled into medium body and became even tastier than before. The flavors settled down (not going in and out) and the sweetness intensified into a caramel flavor, combined with the creamy coffee reminding me of a caramel macchiata (but less sweet). Yum! The stick is drawing very well now and I am getting enough smoke. I am eagerly awaiting each puff to see what else it reveals A little nuttiness comes out and this stick is tasting kind of like a snickers bar with less sugar. Wow! (Although, I haven’t actually eaten a snickers bar in over 20 years, so take that for what it’s worth). Amazing complexity and balance with good intensity. A++

Final Third: Initially flavors started to blend together with a hint of spice emerging to keep things interesting. The flavors are more intense, but less balanced and complex. The spice is like a mild cayenne pepper. The spice becomes more prominent with a little meatiness, but the previous flavors are still in the background and becoming more distinct restoring the balance and complexity. A+ for having a new dimension without losing the old charm.

Final Thoughts: Not a strong cigar, but the strength did sneak up on me a little. To start with mild flavors only to scream caramel macchiata/snickers and end up tasting like some kind of Szechuan dish (sweet and spicy) with a solid ash (3x for the entire stick) and near perfect burn it’s hard to knock any points off this stick so I’ll give it 96 points. It is the best cigar I’ve had this year and easily in my top 5 (10? – I have a short memory) of all time.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Steve, that is a mighty fine review and your pic's were stunning, thanks my friend! :clap:

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
awesome review but what does a hint of raid taste like?
It's available at most super markets. Go give yourself a thrill and find out.

Seriously, have you ever caught a whiff of an ant N roach killer spray? Or sprayed it into a corner and gotten some back splash from it? Like that but not as strong. I do notice it in a few sticks (like Padron Principe). You can actually make an insecticide from tobacco (nicotine sulfate) so I don't think it is as far fetched as it sounds.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Nice review there :thumbsup: Appreciate the pics and in-depth analysis.
No problem, any time you want me to review some other sticks, just send them my way.:stretchgr

Actually, there is a problem. Other sticks just haven't measured up. I had an Ashton ESG and LFD Coronado since then and they weren't nearly as good (pretty underwhelming). Maybe I need to smoke some dog rocket so I can start to enjoy my "regular" stuff.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
No problem, any time you want me to review some other sticks, just send them my way.:stretchgr

Actually, there is a problem. Other sticks just haven't measured up. I had an Ashton ESG and LFD Coronado since then and they weren't nearly as good (pretty underwhelming). Maybe I need to smoke some dog rocket so I can start to enjoy my "regular" stuff.

Sounds to me like an Open Call to send him dog-rockets!!! :yes:

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That's an excellent and in depth review with great pictures. You're making me wish I never gave away my only Por Larranaga to a friend of mine who never had a Cuban cigar.