What's new

Prayers needed for my son...

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Dear BOTL:

My beautiful wife gave birth to our third child, a handsome 8 pound 11 oz boy on 8/11. Few days later we were back home and thoroughly enjoying our time together as a family.

On Wednesday morning my wife starts saying how the baby seems tired. He stopped feeding shortly after that and was just not acting like himself (up until that point he had been our easiest baby in terms of feeding, disposition). Few hours pass, no change. He then starts to feel hot, but doesn't seem to have a fever.

My wife, God bless her, is insistent that something is wrong. Mind you we had just been to the pediatrician the day before and he appeared perfectly healthy. So she calls the doctors office and after dealing with several nurses who thought she was just an overly anxious parent, the doc got on the phone and agreed to see him right away just to make sure he was ok.

Upon examining my son the doc agrees he's concerned too and says he'd like us to consider going to the hospital to have some tests done. Before leaving he checks my sons temp again and he now has a fever....

Several hours later the ER docs sit down with my wife and I and explain that my son has bacterial meningitis and will have to stay in the hospital for several weeks to receive a slew of antibiotics.

It's been almost a week since then. My son has been further diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bacterial meningitis. As there's only ever been a handful of cases in infants, they're not sure about a lot of things (how he got it, if it is contagious, etc). However, the doctors / nurses we've met all seem confident that at the end of this roller coaster, my son will hopefully be completely cured and healthy.

Tonight has been especially difficult as they're running out of sites to stick IV's in my son and he had to be transported to another hospital in Philly to receive a PICC line (apparently it's an IV that is snaked through his body to be more secure and efficient with less chance of infection). He is going to have to go under general anesthesia tomorrow morning to have the line put in. We're told that if this procedure goes well he should be ok from here on out. On a positive note, his fevers have finally stopped (knock on wood) and he seems to be responding to the meds....watching your newborn deal with fevers of 103 and 104 degrees is not fun to say the least.

Any how, sorry for the long rant. I'm just stressed out and trying to juggle too many things at once I guess. My wife has been with him the whole time because he's breastfed -not to mention an army couldn't move her from his side! In the meantime I'm taking care of my 5 and 3 year old at night and at the hospital with my wife and son during the day.

If anyone who reads this wouldn't mind saying a prayer of sending some positive vibes our way, my family and I would greatly appreciate it. I can't stop thinking of how bad this could've been had my wife not been so insistent that something was wrong. It was very subtle and I can see how a lot of kids end up getting very sick, or worse, from this horrible infection. Again thanks for letting me vent, this was definitely needed.

Sincerely,
Justin

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish I had the words that would comfort you man. My heart goes out to you and your family. May the doctors hands be guided by strength, wisdom and experience, and may your son be given the strength of will to fight and overcome this illness. His support is clearly there and yours is definitely here. Keep us updated please!

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Praying for you right now. May God give you supernatural strength in this situation as you are taking care of your family. Also praying that the doctors and other health care professionals will have insight into what is going on with your son's situation and will give him the treatment and care that he needs to fully recover from this. Finally, praying for a full recovery with no adverse affects to your son. This I pray in Jesus' name, AMEN.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Prayers going up for your son. My family will all be praying for your sons full recovery and for you and your wife's continued strength during this difficult time.May God bless you all

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
I am so glad you guys found this when you did, working in the medical field for over 16 years i have seen alot of people put things like this off. i know that since he is improving you must be beside yourself with anxiety and confusion, just know that every brother on and sister for that matter botl.org is pulling for him. just try to relax you have plenty of prayers more than enough

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Praying for you right now. May God give you supernatural strength in this situation as you are taking care of your family. Also praying that the doctors and other health care professionals will have insight into what is going on with your son's situation and will give him the treatment and care that he needs to fully recover from this. Finally, praying for a full recovery with no adverse affects to your son. This I pray in Jesus' name, AMEN.
I agree with this!!! Amen!!!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Prayers for your wife, you and your family. From someone who works within the hospital as a nursing assistant I'm right at the patients besides. When you said he was getting a slew of IV's into his little arms I felt so bad. My nursing instinct kicked in and said well maybe a PICC line would help (mind you I said that to myself before I read further on your post). And it DOES help A LOT! I can't tell you how many times I see them on my patients at work. It's pretty amazing what it can do and the way it gets done. I won't go into all the details about it. But I'll say for sure, they're an amazing invention. There's less risk of infections too since it's more long term than the IV's they probably have to poke him with every few days depending on the procedures of the IV insertions in the hospital. Just make sure the little guy doesn't pull on it. Basically, in layman's terms a PICC is a long term IV he can go home with for a period of time. You'll probably have a nurse come to see him to dispense the medications that he'll need. Unless you can do them yourself too. Which actually my uncle did when he had to get an illness treated.

Keep us posted on his progress and praying for a quick recovery!!! And of course, if you need anything or maybe some "nursing" questions just shoot me a PM. If I can't answer it, I'll do my best to get an answer for you.