What's new

Premium dog food

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Anyone else feed Blue Buffalo or the like? I switched our pups over to it today, the only problem is that one of ours weigh 22 lbs. and the other weighs 90. ( big male Doberman) . I bought the wilderness chicken small bites, and while the big 'un eats it with gusto, the 4 month old blue heeler barely snacks. Do you think I need to buy the appropriate food for each of them, or will the smaller one adjust? At $45 bucks for a 38 lb. bag sounds outrageous, I've heard nothing but positive reviews from guys feeding this. WhT are the brothers feeding their four legged family?

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Just dog chow.

Tried fancy foods for my two super long haired mutts thinking it might help with their coats. They didn't like the two or three brands I tried over a year.

They love the $0.50/lb Dog Chow though.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We use the Blue Buffalo for our border collie. Sometimes he eats it all in seconds, sometimes he takes his time or comes back to it, but I would not worry, he'll get used to it. Right after a change he might not eat with gusto, but he will later. Our friends are worth it!

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kroger has been on several high-quality, grain-free kibbles over the years: Acana, Orijen, California Naturals, and others I can't recall. Right now, he's doing very well on Diamond Naturals Grain-Free, the beef and sweet potato formula. He also gets a can of salmon instead of kibble twice a week; occasional additions of yogurt, green beans, or canned pumpkin; and bananas as a daily treat.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I feed mine Purina. I've tried several of the high end foods but it seems to hurt their stomachs, aka crap like crazy.

But if u want to try it I would recommend getting the food ment for each one.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I want them to be as healthy as possible, yet they crap like crazy with the normal food, purina, beneful, and the like. Trying to do the right thing with these two pups. We'll give it a few months and see what happens. Might get different dog foods for the different ages. This blue buffalo is expensive!!!

EHV

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I feel your pain on food prices. I'm feeding our English Bulldog Grain Free Fromm Beef Fritata and its stupid expensive. This breed is super sensitive to about everything and I wanted to give him the best shot at good health. He went to the vet today and of course has an allergy to something. Hopefully stupid expensive dog food.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
We feed pedigree to our 100 pound black lab (super large American lab not fat). he has some hip issues already at only 3 years old, so we have him on a joint and hip blend.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I feel your pain on food prices. I'm feeding our English Bulldog Grain Free Fromm Beef Fritata and its stupid expensive. This breed is super sensitive to about everything and I wanted to give him the best shot at good health. He went to the vet today and of course has an allergy to something. Hopefully stupid expensive dog food.
We had a miniature schnauzer a few years ago, and they had the same food problems. One piece of pepperoni pizza cost us a $75 vet bill to tell us he had a sensitive stomach. He was crapping blood after the pizza!! Seems they have a REAL sensitive tummy. Lol

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Make sure the puppy eats some kind of puppy specific blend. There is extra puppy specific ingredients in the puppy blends that helps them grow, its not just crap its actually true. I feed my dog Taste of the Wild and while its not cheap I think the benefits of eating grain free meals are worth it, and I've had great success transitioning previous dogs from lower grain kibble to something of a higher quality and the results were amazing. One dogs coat transformed from coarse and dull to lustrous and rabbit fur soft and the other stopped having stomach issues. The lower quality kibbles are usually filled with all kinds of crappy ingredients that are just filler like barley and wheat and many are processed poorly so excrement gets put it with the rest which is why many brands of dog foods have the occasional recall. Putting a little extra $ into your pets well being is always worth it IMO if you can afford to do so.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I have a relative who makes homemade dog food - I think she experimented with a few recipes before finally settling on one, but the dogs seemed happier and healthier, pretty much immediately after she made the switch. Benefits were most noticeable in the oldest dog - it really breathed some life back into him in his final years. Also helped with the poo factor.

Biggest benefit I've noticed is that when she's dogsitting another relative's fart machines, they don't fart as much. Those dogs live for 2 things - to eat, and to fart. Fun fact - last winter, one of them pulled a log from the pile by the fireplace, and f#@king ate it! Still, their greatest super-canine strength is not the power to eat large amounts of non-food, but to fart. And it's disgusting. But I'm told that they've been eating better food lately, and I think they eat the homemade stuff when they're vacationing away from home, and they don't fart as often as they used to.

If anyone wants, I'll get the recipe for ya.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
My toy dog that's a vets dream come true is allergic to even expensive food. (Royal Canin Protein Rabbit and potato) he's now on hydrolyzed protein from Royal Canin that's 72 dollars a 17lb bag. Be thankful. I have to pound it down or water it to soften it daily because it's only made in a large kibble. It cost me over a 1k dollars in test to tell me he had severe foods allergies. Thank god he's a lover and fills a huge roll in our family.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
2 years ago we switched my dog to Blue Buffalo weight control dog food. She gained 8 lbs over the next year, WTF. My vet said Blue Buffalo has too much protein for most dogs and in her experience, most dogs will gain weight on any Blue Buffalo dog food. The vet recommended Iams weight control and my pup has lost almost 10 lbs this past year with no change in exercise etc.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours get rachel ray grain-free. Mr sensitive princess doesnt agree with corn. It's helped though and they love it.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I've been feeding our Golden Retriever Blue since he was a baby (he's 3 now). We also feed it to our 3 month old Labradoodle. Personally, I'm a fan. Our vet once mentioned that Blue has had some recalls, and that we should switch to Royal Canin; the only food they sell at their office. I think we did a bag or so for the Golden, but didn't notice a difference. Labradoodle is on the basic puppy brand, Golden is on the basic adult brand. I used to bitch about $50 a bag, but at the end of the day, they're part of the family, and cost a lot less than me or my wife does to live. Retrievers are easy though, they eat anything and everything, so YMMV.

Here is the site that we went to that helped us decide on Blue. They seemed to have good, scientific analysis.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
We get pedigree from Sams club for our two mutts. We have since we got the dogs. Started with the puppy stuff until they were a year. Never had an issue with them or with bad gas unless the eat some raw hide. Its 25 bucks for a 55lb bag that lasts us 2-3 weeks.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Taste of the wild bison/venison. Golden retriever and an Aussie. Make sure to feed the puppy proper puppy food. It's different than adult for many reasons.