What's new

Prices in Cuba up!?!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Passing along info from someone else... prices went up drastically in Cuba last week. Cohiba up 30%!?!

Examples:

Cigar Old Price New Price

Boli Coronas Gigantes. 207.50 246.25
Cohiba Lanceros. 312.15 397.50
Cohiba. Robustos. 260 340
Cohiba Esplendido. 441 570
Cohiba Panetela. 125 160
Boli Tubo No 1. 143.75. 172.50
Diplomaticos No 2. 155 187.50
Hoyo M Epi No 1. 153.75 185
Hoyo M Petit Rob. 117.50 145

Last edited:

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I really hope this is not true. Possibly a sign of imminent movement on the embargo or something???

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I really hope this is not true. Possibly a sign of imminent movement on the embargo or something???
It is absolutely true... confirmed by people in the industry. Just passing the info along. My info is directly from another discussion, but the theory/reasoning behind the change is to discourage bulk buying in Cuba and selling in the grey market which tends to lower prices and less sales through legit vendors around the world. Also, this will stimulate sales through legit vendors because people will have less desire to buy only in Cuba.

And also discussed is that as of now, there shouldn't be any price changes with vendors around the world... just Cuba catching up to the rest of the world.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
And also discussed is that as of now, there shouldn't be any price changes with vendors around the world... just Cuba catching up to the rest of the world.
Am I missing something here? If Cuba increases prices, won't vendors just follow suit?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Am I missing something here? If Cuba increases prices, won't vendors just follow suit?
It doesn't mean Cuba is increasing prices, it means prices IN Cuba increased. Big difference. There have already been price increases to the distributors.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
It is absolutely true... confirmed by people in the industry. Just passing the info along. My info is directly from another discussion, but the theory/reasoning behind the change is to discourage bulk buying in Cuba and selling in the grey market which tends to lower prices and less sales through legit vendors around the world. Also, this will stimulate sales through legit vendors because people will have less desire to buy only in Cuba.

Sorry, didn't mean to give the impression I was calling your info into question. Just reacting negatively to the news. :)

What you're saying makes more sense. I guess I was thinking of this as an increase in wholesale prices. If they're just trying to reduce the discount you get from buying in Cuba over buying at retail elsewhere, that would be less alarming. I would hate to see a 30% increase on Cohiba from vendors on top of the recent 10% increase.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
It doesn't mean Cuba is increasing prices, it means prices IN Cuba increased. Big difference. There have already been price increases to the distributors.
Ahhh, thanks for the clarification. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, didn't mean to give the impression I was calling your info into question. Just reacting negatively to the news. :)

What you're saying makes more sense. I guess I was thinking of this as an increase in wholesale prices. If they're just trying to reduce the discount you get from buying in Cuba over buying at retail elsewhere, that would be less alarming. I would hate to see a 30% increase on Cohiba from vendors on top of the recent 10% increase.
This could in fact trigger some vendor price increases. If you think about it some vendors were using the arbitrage spread between prices in Cuba against prices elsewhere. This spread was pocketed by those vendors. Now that the spread no longer exists these vendors have a choice to either raise prices or take less profit, if there is any profit left to take.

All of This comes on top of recent Internet based, grey market vendor price increase of 10%.

The next few months should be interesting.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Fantastic.... Every time people even hint at a price increase the prices jump; just as soon as Trinidad's went out of production earlier in the year they raised the box prices by 30$, no bueno.