What's new

Prime Cut Ribeye Steak

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
This Steak no Longer Exists

This beautiful piece of beef (2 inches thick, by the way) was allowed to rest at room temperature for 1.5 hours and was prepared as follows:

--Oven was preheated to 500 degrees, once there, a cast iron skillet was placed in the oven and allowed to reach desired temperature for 10 minutes.

--The ribeye was then liberally seasoned with freshly ground pepper and kosher salt, and during this time, a shallot was diced as well.

--After 10 minutes in the oven, the skillet was placed over a medium-high heat and one tbsp of canola oil and one tbsp butter were added. Once the foam from the butter had subsided, the steak was placed into the pan and seared for 4 minutes.

--After one side had been seared, the ribeye was turned, and then placed into the 500 degree oven for exactly 7 minutes, removed, and placed onto a plate to rest for 5 minutes.

--Subsequent to removing the meat, the fat in the skillet was poured off, and the skillet was returned to medium-high heat on the stove top and then the diced shallot was added.

--When the shallots were toasty (you can smell it), one cup of red wine was added to the pan and allowed to reduce to 1/2 volume. Once there, 2 tbsp cold butter was whisked in until fully incorporated, then poured over the resting meat and placed on a sizzling platter.

It was cooked to a perfect medium rare

Accompanying the beef were a baked potato and roasted asparagus.

I paired it with Mollydooker Blue Eyed Boy 2006, and this was one of the most fantastic steak and wine pairings I've ever had.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I've never cooked a steak in an oven/skillet before (but it sounds like I might try it soon). What would you say is the big difference between that method of cooking vs. cooking on the grill?

BTW, I like my steaks rare to moo-ing

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Properly searing a steak in a skillet, then finishing in the oven, is a technique that is well regarded as the most favored way to prepare a steak. The initial searing seals in the juices, and the oven finishes the beef in a very controlled manner. And you can deliver a perfect piece of meat every time. Most chefs use this method.

Grilling over fire is a whole 'nother technique, and one that I love as well. There's something in our genes that draws us to preparing meat over a fire, and it just cannot be duplicated on a stove. Perfecting their technique while using this method has been the quest of many, and the finished product might just be the ultimate.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Masterfuly done Greg. I would have liked to see the finished product.

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
it didnt last that long on the plate to take a picture. i love cooking steak. and cooking in general good thing to cause the GF cant boil water.