What's new

Prime Rib

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I'm cooking a 10 lb. rib roast today at my Sister's house, she begged me to cook, but the truth is I love to cook roasts mainly because I will not let another person serve me overdone meat--it has to be medium rare!!!!!!

I will serve it with cabernet jus, mashed taters and green beans and lots of other side dishes brought by the rest of the family

This is for 12 adults, so there will be lots of leftovers. The bones are my favorite and my doggy gets them after I AM done!!!

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
at my house, the ribs are the appetizer. I have the butcher cut the bones off of the roast, then tie them back on. When the roast is done cooking, i cut the strings, and take the ribs off of the roast.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Prime Rib.
I have tried different methods of cooking it, and the one I like the best, is :
Take the Prime Rib out of the Fridge, generously coat with your favorite dry Rub.. for me it is a Pepper Corn type dry rub.
Allow the Prime Rib to get to room temp.
Place in an oven at 400 degrees for about 10-15 mins.
I have a double oven, So after searing the roast at high temp, I then place it in the other oven with a temp set at 190 degrees, and slow cook this baby until the internal temp is between 125-130 degrees, remove from the oven, and let it set for about 15 min.

I love the slow cooking as I feel the roast comes out even more tender.

For Christmas Dinner I had an American Kobe Prime Rib, I cooked it at their suggestion which was a bit faster, Although the Prime Rib was very good, I had made better with a lower quality grade of meat.

Since then I had made another one with another Kobe Prime Rib, Cooked it as I described above, and this time the Prime rib was absolutely fantastic.

Deez

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
As terrible as this may sound, I used much of the leftovers to make chili.

I'll tell you what though, this chili is tha bomb!

By the way Deez, is Kobe beef worth the $ (hype).

How much/Lb?

We paid $150 for a 10 lb roast from Whole Foods.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Kobe Worth the Hype?
In Prime Rib... I would say No.
From the appearance of it before roasting it is extremely well marbled, more so than other Prime Rib Roast.
But after cooking it I did not appreciate the difference.

On the second one I roasted it was much better when it was cooked slowly, even then compared to other Prime Rib roast I have cooked, either Dry Aged Choice or Prime, I feel these were equally good.

On the other hand. take a Filet Mignon, or Beef Tenderloin. Yes there is a difference. But the price keeps me at bay, and only for very special occasions.
again I have no problem with a Dry aged Prime selection of the Filet Mignon.
I do think there is a leap in quality from Choice to Prime,
When you talk Kobe in this cut of beef the marbling is unbelievable, but to me the taste was not a huge improvement over the Dry aged Prime Filet.

The Prime Rib Roast Cost me 115 dollars for about 5 pounds.
I wasn't very satisfied with the first roast so I did get a second roast for free...More than I thought I was going to get. I actually Called and wanted to suggest an alternative method of cooking it.

I talked to a few friends of mine who are Chefs, and they agreed with me. So I at least felt a little better.

Deez